Johnson Smokers made in Ennis?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CollinCoDrummer
Pilgrim

Re: Johnson Smokers made in Ennis?

Postby CollinCoDrummer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:23 pm

BillOldridge wrote:Ordered my Compact Patio Reverse Flow Unit from Chad back in November. I had a few options I wanted, and he was SUPER easy to work with on the project. With the holidays, the flu, and all the "Global Warming", I finally got it picked up about three weeks ago. This pit is AWESOME.....It is so easy to maintain the temp, and after three cooking sessions, the product I'm able to produce with it is only getting better, and it started out phenomenal!......http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/

Congrats! You will continue to love it! I have the same one. I noticed your firebox opens with the hinge on the right, and your shelf wraps around the cooking chamber, NICE add ons! I like it. If you like fish get some whole salmon filets and smoke them over pecan. You will not be dissapointed.
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

You picked right up on the changes I asked Chad to make. Due to the location, I asked him to hinge the door opposite his standard configuration and extending the shelf around the end really adds a usable dimension to the unit. Chad was so easy to work with, I'd recommend him and his products to anyone!
Yes Dear!
bkvanbek
Pilgrim

Postby bkvanbek » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 am

I am thinking hard on the 24" T that he makes. Does anyone have one? Do you think it is open between the right and left sides? If so, how big of pig could be done on it?
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm

if you go on the site and send Chad an email, he'll answer any question you have. He's great to work with!
Yes Dear!
bkvanbek
Pilgrim

Postby bkvanbek » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 pm

I wanted to get y'alls opinion. And not bother Chad.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 am

Bkvanbeck,

There is no solid partition within the smoking chamber.
If you regularly cook big Hogs you will need this customized to a heavier to operate, weighted single door.
CollinCoDrummer
Pilgrim

Postby CollinCoDrummer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 am

I've never cooked, or even eaten whole hog. Other than the dramatic presentation, what is the advantage vs. cooking several cuts of pork? It seems like you have to have lots of extra equipment, lots of space, and lots of help to pull it off.
bkvanbek
Pilgrim

Postby bkvanbek » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 am

I agree, but maybe if i did a whole hog itwould help me pick-up chicks.
I like the idea of the 30 inch T but unless the guy in the pictur is really small, I would be cookin at chest height.
CollinCoDrummer
Pilgrim

Postby CollinCoDrummer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 am

Ah, yes the "chicks" angle. I forgot there is such a thing as BBQ groupies.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 pm

I will say this, last time I was at a Whole Hog cook the presentation scared the ladies in the crowd not the slightest. That thing was torn to bits & consumed in 15 minutes!!

Not a one of them weighed more than the Hog (pre-cooked) either.
DEHILL35
Pilgrim

Postby DEHILL35 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 am

Our company just bought a smoker from Johnson Smokers. We could not be happier with the decision. Quality workmanship and it performs to a T. This will not be our last purchase from Chad at Johnson Smokers.
CollinCoDrummer
Pilgrim

Postby CollinCoDrummer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:45 pm

DEHILL35 wrote:Our company just bought a smoker from Johnson Smokers. We could not be happier with the decision. Quality workmanship and it performs to a T. This will not be our last purchase from Chad at Johnson Smokers.

Congrats DEHILL, Enjoy it! and welcome to the club.
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 pm

I have an Ultimate Patio Smoker I purchased from Chad last year and I'm very pleased with it. Chad is easy to work with, will modify it to meet your specs and will answer your questions regarding the smoker now and in the future.

Hope this helps
Gary
Take Care, Keep on Smoking
God Bless Us All
dmproske
Pilgrim

Postby dmproske » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:54 pm

How is the fit on his chamber and firebox doors? Smoke leakage? How evenly do they cook? I need to upgrade to a pit that cooks dead even across. I am intrigued by his 24 T design.

I have a Klose offset now. So it's either add tuning plates to this one or upgrade to a reverse flow that cooks evenly.
chashint
Wrangler

Postby chashint » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:37 am

In the Dallas area it's pretty hard to actually see product, I need to visit Johnson Custom Smokers and check them out for myself.

The only "high quality" smokers I have been able to inspect are the Horizon 20" Classic (Bass Pro Shops in Garland) and the Big Hat Bar-B-Q BH2048 (Elliot's Hardware in Plano).
At first glance these look pretty impressive with all the big steel construction, but on closer inspection I found them a little disappointing.
Perhaps my expectations are to high for this type of product but on the units I have seen the moving parts do not fit very well to the stationary parts and on one of the display units at Bass Pro the lid stops are welded in the wrong position and the lid will not stay open.
I realize steel and labor are expensive, but at this price point I expect very a tight tolerance fit and no mistakes like improperly positioned lid stops.

Taking a step down, the Old Country Wrangler (at Academy Sports) had good welds and the lid fit well.
All the feedback on these says to closely inspect the actual unit to be purchased since there are presumably large variations in QC. That might be good advice on the other two brands I have viewed too but they are built to order so not really an option.
While the 11ga steel on the Wrangler is a far cry from the 1/4" on the other units it felt sturdy enough to last a good long time and at aprox 1/3 the price seems to be a reasonable unit for light use.

If I manage to make it down to Ennis I will let y'all know.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”