weber smokey mountain question

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: weber smokey mountain question

Postby limey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 am

Congrats on the score, I seasoned it with some Pam. It took a couple of cooks to get it broke in but it cooks like a champ now. Lots of cool mods on the virtual Weber forumn as well.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:01 pm

CONGRATULATIONS......I think you will really enjoy it. I have had mine for about a year and a half and use it all the time. Keep in mind though....as with almost any built in thermometer....don't trust it. Remember it is giving you the temp well above the food. I would recommend getting a good reading at food level with an accurate unit, then adjust your built-in gauge accordingly.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 pm

There is mod kit that replaces one of the bolts with a brass grommet that allows you to pass a temp probe through. Kit has two grommets and the tool to install them. Works like advertised. No worries about pinching a probe cable. Think I got mine from Fred's Music (google it). Cheap, less than $5.00.

I'd also recommend using firebricks wrapped in foil or play sand to fill the water pan. Its purpose is to provide thermal mass -helps with temp swings. Using water in the water pan does not add moisture to the meat. It does present a scalding danger though.

I'm sure you are going to enjoy it! Weber makes a good product.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 am

thanks guys,.....had to postpone my trial run.....those dang hackberry bugs are swarming my back yard .....I aint going ut there....they cover everything.....hopefully the weather will run em off this week.....

im bouncing off the walls wanting to light that thing...... :banghead:

and thanks DAT .....i was wondering how to get my maverick probe in there without wear on cable
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:39 am

well after a month....i finally got to use my 22.5 WSM and all i gotta say is ....WOW...I love it...this was the easiest , most efficient cook ive ever had....ive always used offsets....this is an entirely different world....after a painless 20 minute learning curve i didnt have to touch it in the 5 hours it took to get meat done, steady 270-275.....and it would have gone alot longer.....thanks for the input fellas
DaveAlvarado
Pilgrim

Postby DaveAlvarado » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Just wait until you get it good and gunked up.

I've done probably 20 cooks since I got mine last Christmas. I added a stainless steel door from Cajun Bandit and drilled a couple holes for grate-level probes, which was a waste of time and money. My Maverick is the only thing I use to check temps.

I run my water pan dry. Well technically, I run it with grease by the time what I'm cooking has dripped in there. I haven't noticed any difference in quality of the Q it turns out, and it's more efficient with charcoal when it's not boiling water. In the summer I can go nearly 20 hours on a 11lb bag of Kingsford Competition. In the winter, it's more like a bag and a half for that same amount of time.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”