Help!!!

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bbqrookie
Pilgrim

Help!!!

Postby bbqrookie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:29 pm

I am interested in buying a good beginner's smoker, but I am rookie and don't know exactly what to look for in a smoker. I wanted to ask for recommendations on what to look for in a smoker and also on a good cheap smokers to consider to buy. Would be glad to get a hand!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Help!!!

Postby BluDawg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Do you want an Offset or a ventricle? What is your Budget? How many people do you normally cook for? Do you want to to be hands on and learn fire management or are you lazy and just want to let the Smoker do all the work? Are you mechanically inclined as to be able to make modifications to get Cheap smoke r to work like it need to?
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
bbqrookie
Pilgrim

Postby bbqrookie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm

I think for now an Offset smoker; and my budget would be around 250; I will normally cook for a max of 5 or 6 people; I want to learn fire management and also sometimes let the smoker do the work; I am not mechanically inclined to make modifications.
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm

I got both of mine by dumb luck. My offset stick burner was given to me for getting it out of a yard. My electric was a freind from church wanted it gone and if I made a donation to the P-70 mission it was mine. Look on you local Craig's list and ask around. They are out there for cheap.
Last edited by sparetimetoys on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:12 pm

If you have the time - I found a great deal on Craigs list, but it took several months...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 pm

A pit barrel cooker is $269 shipped and if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS on how to cook on it you will be very happy with it

I am waiting on some $$$ to get mine...I work for the USDA, I didn't get furloughed but we are restricted on some things....

I have a COS (cheap offset smoker), wife bought it, it was about $168 +tax from wal-mart....took some modifying to get it to work for me with a charcoal basket, steel plates for inside, gaskets, welding blanket, etc., etc.,........all I have is a drill, a dremel tool and a hacksaw.....I can't really recommend it unless you are very bored out of your mind and really, really, want to work on something for HOURS after you buy it :shock:

If you do get an offset, send me a pm and I will be glad to help with the basic things and what not

go to http://www.amazingribs.com and check out the equipment section

they also have a review on the pit barrel cooker
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:59 pm

If you can't spin a wrench, I'd get the Pit Barrel Cooker pretty much the best buy for those who are not Tim the Toolman wanna bees
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:59 pm

bbqrookie, your price range does not really add up to a non modified offset. I am not sure where you are located but here in Beaumont there is a guy selling UDS's for 150.00. They aren't what I build but they cook.
http://www.southeasttexas.com/classifie ... distance=0
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:31 am

I remember when I started my quest and built my UDS someone said that they made theirs months ago and have not used their offset since. Well that is me as well! I am going to actually give my offset to a family member. LOVE MY UDS!!!
Weber 22.5", UDS

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”