Gator Pit or Klose

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

john20 USER_AVATAR
John20
Pilgrim

Gator Pit or Klose

Postby John20 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:21 pm

I am wanting to buy a new stick burner.Can't decide between Gator and Klose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Johnny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Gator Pit or Klose

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:42 am

John20 wrote: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1) Make a personal visit to all manufacturers that you're considering - get a feel for the level of customer service.

2) Get a price for your dream pit - apples to apples / feature to feature, from each one.

3) Let your wallet decide - you really can't go wrong with one of the MANY reputable pit builders these days.

Now for features.... 24" diameter, insulated firebox, gas assist, 14" shelf, ball valve, large casters and a winning lotto ticket.

Good Luck....
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 am

Both are good pits. Bet the Klose is somewhat more expensive! Not sure it will cook any better. I'd be proud to own either.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 am

I just picked up my new custom Klose a week or so ago. There isn't any real significant difference in price between the 2 that I found when I was doing the research to have one built for me. It merely comes down to preference. What do you prefer and what look do you like, and who are you most comfortable with when you talk to them, because they will both cook similar. And I also recommend going with the higher end stuff if you can. You won't regret it. I have posted pics of mine over on the offset cooker category. I am real pleased with the results and the way my Klose turned out, it exceeded my expectations.
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Buy one of each and you can give me whichever one you don't prefer. :laughing7:

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.
Custom vertical offset.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Loved my old Klose stainless steel drop in. It cooked like a dream, and the workmanship was excellent. Although in cold weather because it was stainless and a thinner gauge, you did have to kick it in the butt and burn more wood. Either cooker would be a first rate, high-quality inferno of meat excellence.

I have only one caution – while a great guy, and a blast to talk to, don't expect to have a phone conversation with David Klose that is less than one or two hours, or even one or two days. Would love to cook with the guy one of these days.
Last edited by Boots on Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 pm

I priced both of those....then I found LoneStarGrillz...I found that once I ever got the $$$ saved up for just a backyard offset, LoneStar would be the best bang for the buck...24" already come with tuning plates.....

If you are going for an all out custom rig on a trailer worth mucho denaro, I think Klose and Gator Pit would be the ones to go to....
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:13 am

6 on way... 1/2 dozen the other :dont:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am

Proud Gator owner here
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
UBEKEWL454
Pilgrim

Postby UBEKEWL454 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:38 pm

John20 wrote:I am wanting to buy a new stick burner.Can't decide between Gator and Klose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Johnny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I don't see how you can go wrong with either one of those guys. They both make quality pits and Lonestar and JJ in Houston all do. I was going back and fourth between the 4 of them when I was going to get mine done and ended up going with Big Bear pits. They have a small shop in Sugar Land but they also are very good.
randeg
Pilgrim

Postby randeg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:27 pm

I went with Joe and couldn't be happier. They are down to earth great guys. When my pit left their shop, it was like it was one of their kids. Great people, small business, big time attention to detail, what more could a person ask for? At the very least give them a call.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”