Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Introduction to Smoker types

Postby Gator » Sat May 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Gus McCrae: Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

:cheers:

Jake Spoon "Speak up, Gus. (if you) Talk a little louder and them vaqueros probably bring us the horses…While they’re shooting at us."
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 31, 2014 12:37 pm

garzanium wrote:Don't buy anything in the next 2 months would be my suggestion...spend time on here and other forums researching. 2k is a huge investment, so don't go blind into it..TONS of options out there and from experience, don't get into something you will regret later. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2

Seconded! Your Weber can do a lot....there's also the El Cheapo Brinkmann.

Any local Q-fests you might attend? That would be another good place to learn.
Moink!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 31, 2014 1:17 pm

I've thought about pellet munchers, but I fear where I live it would rust out in a year or two.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:34 pm

VAULTS: This is what happens when you cross and Egg with a Stick Burner. Double walled insulated cookers that look like a floor safe, with high performance, generally lightweight insulation inside the walls. Often taller and with increased capacity over kamado cookers and generally a lot lighter comparatively based on volume, they are often a “rib box” type design, and can either operate on direct heat with a bottom firebox, or an offset firebox in some cases. Very common in pig competitions around the South and catching on in other areas. These can range from little refrigerator re-purposing rigs sold commercially at the box stores, to full on heavy gauge customs that look like they were fabricated by Orange County Choppers. Strengths: The cheap ones are easy entry point starter units you can easily fit on the back porch and do a credible job with. Some of the more sophisticated consumer rigs are computerized and ELECTRIC of all things (HISSSSS), with a TV clicker/controller thing that you set and forget. The custom rigs are full on restaurant quality chef tools. They share the high efficiency thermodynamics, small volume fuel requirements, and precise temperature control functions typical to the Egg, with the size and capacity advantageous of the Stick Burners. Weaknesses: Typically no grilling capacity, these are generally just smoke boxes. . Operators: Guys who use these are of two types. First is the general consumer who wants to cook some reasonably decent home barbecue and buys the little electric refrigerator cooker so he doesn’t have to clean up the mess. The folks buy a Honda lawnmower because they think it will last 40 years, even if they will be dead in 20, and all the accessories including the mulching grass catcher. They stencil their name on their shorts and their trashcans – they don’t know why, the moms told them too. They are very neat. The other Vaulter is yer hardcore competition cook. He’s the guy who will set the thermometer at 226 degrees and makes darn sure it will stay there, because in 6 hours and 12 minutes, his ribs will be PERECT (and likely, they will be). He makes his own rub, measures out the ingredients by the ounce on a kitchen scale, and puts the “made on” date on the container. He has every episode of Barbecue Pitmasters recorded to DVD, and has all his competition events programmed into the calendar on his iPhone (as well as the app that connects to his remote thermometers to give him a temperature histogram). He jumps in his custom painted ATV to run his meat to check-in, and then slow cruises it around the grounds to see who he’s up against. He draws a walk in 2 out of 3 categories at every cook, every time. He loves barbecue so much, he’s in the business. Between competitions, he shines up his Vault with carnauba wax. His rig is a full on traveling showroom. Dr. Smoke falls in this category; none would argue he has one of the prettiest rigs in the business.

[b

Love it. I started "Stick" and now going "Vault" style you even got the operator characteristics pretty close......
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 pm

There are lots of pretty rigs on the competition circuit, and in BBQ in general. And you also failed to mention that a lot of people use valuts and eggs for other reasons, mainly they either do not have, or choose not to put in the time it takes to run a stick burner.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Quite a jump on a 2014 thread :roll:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

That entire post was copied from a post that Boots put out there back then.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm

GRailsback wrote:That entire post was copied from a post that Boots put out there back then.

Some new members don't know yet how to quote a previous post so that it gives credit, However, his comment at the bottom reflects to the copied post :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
GRailsback wrote:That entire post was copied from a post that Boots put out there back then.

Some new members don't know yet how to quote a previous post so that it gives credit, However, his comment at the bottom reflects to the copied post :salut:

You are correct Parts, on both counts.
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:

Yes I knew how to copy but geez such a long post to copy just to write my 1 sentence about vaults
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 pm

GRailsback wrote:There are lots of pretty rigs on the competition circuit, and in BBQ in general. And you also failed to mention that a lot of people use valuts and eggs for other reasons, mainly they either do not have, or choose not to put in the time it takes to run a stick burner.

There are a lot of pretty rigs on the competition circuit and lot of those dont win...Im a believer it is not the pit but the cook. As far as time, I think my perfect cooked ribs will take roughly the same time regardless of it being on a vault or an egg. I only cooked chicken on a friends egg..really dont like em, I have cooked in a cheap upright and dont like drippings of meat on top of each other. Maybe the only setup where time maynot matter is a pellet (in my opinion BBQ blasphemy! but gotta say it does make bbq easier) I have cooked on a stick as it is my current set-up. It is because of my cooking on a stick and through long nights up cooking briskets in competition in Meridian in 33 degree weather and 10-15 mile per hour winds or 15-20 mile per hour winds with rain in Rosenberg or Alvin, that a normal stick pit will no longer suffice for me. I am currently building a vault style stick pit or insulated stick I am hoping for all of the above as described for a vault. 1. Fuel efficiency (reduce cost of hardwood) 2. extend time between refueling (sleep longer) 3. Reduce weight (14g for cook chamber) 4. Introduce some efficiencies in workflow design my current pit doesnt have (easier cleaning mechanisms, pull out rack, sealing, LEDlighting, 8cylinder twin turbo w/ 4 barrel carb to perfect the bark (hahah j/k but you know what I mean)
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 am

After 4 years to reflect on this post (all couple thousand words, geez I musta been drinking) all I can say is it’s like a stray dog, you feed it once, it’s just gonna keep followin you around.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 am

PinoyPitmaster wrote:Yes I knew how to copy but geez such a long post to copy just to write my 1 sentence about vaults

OK, given, but the new reader can't tell where the quote stops and your 1 sentence begins. It's very confusing as to what you are trying to convey in your posts. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:35 am

Boots wrote:After 4 years to reflect on this post (all couple thousand words, geez I musta been drinking) all I can say is it’s like a stray dog, you feed it once, it’s just gonna keep followin you around.

Boots Pard, us pickers call them "Moldie Oldies" :salut: :cheers: and besides that, Classics never die, they just smell that way :laughing7:
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 am

Boots wrote:After 4 years to reflect on this post (all couple thousand words, geez I musta been drinking) all I can say is it’s like a stray dog, you feed it once, it’s just gonna keep followin you around.

I love this post you wrote. Glad you wrote it!

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”