Rookie Question on buying new smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TexasBlueDevil
Pilgrim

Rookie Question on buying new smoker

Postby TexasBlueDevil » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm ready to buy my first real smoker. I've been looking at some of the Texas builders like Gator, Lang, Lonestar Grillz, Klose, and a couple others.

I'm look for a 24"x 40 offset pipe smoker. Some of the builders offer offset smokers with vertical box smokers on the opposite side of the fire box. I'm trying to decide if I want to add on the vertical smoker. Other than cooking more meat what are the advantages of adding the vertical smoker??

Thanks for the advice!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Rookie Question on buying new smoker

Postby BluDawg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:37 am

Keeps food warm on Big cooks on a 40" pit if your cookin for a Bunch of folks it will increase your capacity you can fill it along with the main and as the stuff comes off the main ( it will finish first) you can shift the vertical to the main and the main to the vertical and just leave the damper cracked to keep it warm and serve from the vertical. If you anit got plans to do big cooks pretty regular then it is wasted money.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:37 pm

In my opinion vertical chambers connected to the end of an offset are not warmers, they are vertical cooking chambers. Personally I do not want my already smoked meat reintroduced to more smoke to keep warm. If you over fill the vertical it effects your main chambers cooking ability by slowing the draft. You can expect at least a 40° to 60° difference in the two chambers.
In my opinion if you expect to be cooking for large crowds buy an offset that will cook the meat, do not rely on a vertical chamber to substitute for cooking area.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:23 am

I wouldn't buy one myself. I would buy either an offset or a vertical, then later on buy the other one. You can never have too many cookers.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:50 am

I agree with both of the statements above. Pick one and get after it. Youll be fighting temps with the combo if you wanna cook in both. Thats majority anyways, i know some that have gotten the moon and aun to align just right and not have any issues but its rare.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
bighatbbq USER_AVATAR
bighatbbq
Wrangler

Postby bighatbbq » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Cold Smoke! If you're not familiar do some research and experience a whole new world of smoking. Much easier done in a vertical box away from your fire.
Beau Smith
Big Hat Bar-B-Q Smokers and Grills
www.bighatbbq.com
buzz USER_AVATAR
buzz
Throw Down MVP

Postby buzz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:38 pm

I met with Lang and looked at a lot of cookers, Opinions are like a-------- and we all have them. No I did not buy lang . Check out the new man on block EL RAY smokers call Robbie 817-991-9183.
chashint
Wrangler

Postby chashint » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Where did you meet Lang at?
bdad23
Pilgrim

Postby bdad23 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm

You need to check with Paul Shirley at Shirley Fabrication. He builds a heck of a cooker. You can't go wrong there.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”