Is an extra 6" worth the money?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Texanick
Pilgrim

Is an extra 6" worth the money?

Postby Texanick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:16 am

I am new to the forum, but after reading some of the posts I figured I should go ahead and sign up and ask a question to people who seem to know what they are doing.

I am about to pull the trigger on a new offset in the Houston market. I have looked at all the manufacturers in the Houston market and have narrowed it down. My questions is about size. I can get a 20x36 with square fire box and be right at where I want to spend or I can jump to a 20x42 for $100 more. Is the extra 6" worth it? On both smokers the top rack is full size. So, it would really be an additional 240sq inches.
Bockbock
Cowboy

Re: Is an extra 6" worth the money?

Postby Bockbock » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:37 am

Everyone on the forum always says to buy bigger than you think you need. For an xtra $100 I would go bigger. Welcome to the Forum!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:04 am

For me it'd be a no brainer. The extra 6 is well worth $100. I think if you go with the 36 you'll wish you had gone with the 42.

Good luck.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:27 am

I guess it depends on how many big cooks you think you will do. The extra space is sure nice IMO, and for $100 it will be the best money you'll ever spend.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 am

in the grand scheme of things, $100 more for 6 more inches isn't really that much if you think about how long you'll have the smoker. it's like buying a car - do you get the base model for $15,000 with no bells or whistles or get the deluxe model for $18,000. if you plan to keep the car for 10 years, what's $3k?

i say try to get another foot for $200!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:27 am

Agree with all about going longer. I would encourage you to go to 48" if your wallet can handle it. I've had a small offset in the past and found it's capacity is greatly reduced when you factor in the hot spot next to the firebox. Of course, you could start adding tuning plates and whatnot to help with heat distribution but that will really start adding $$$'s.

My ideal backyard pit would be 24x48. I've owned bigger and smaller - if I ever sell my cabinet smoker that's the size offset I'll buy. Good luck with your decision - it can be maddening. :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 am

In a month or two, that $100 won't be missed. You will have that extra space to use forever...
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:38 pm

I would up to a 24" x 48" The length and depth are ideal for a back yard cooker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:01 pm

KAM beat me to it, I have had 3 20" offsets smokers and still have a 16. Anything under 24" is just to small to be a "good" stick burner imo without you standing there and adding little sticks every 10 minutes.
Will never own any offset again under 24".
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Texanick
Pilgrim

Postby Texanick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:07 am

Thank y'all for your replies. I would consider going to a 24x48 if I had the budget. It's a pretty big jump for that 24".

I decided to go with Pitts by JJ. To offset the increase cost of the larger size I decided to not get the adjustable damper between the main chamber and fire box.

I know JJ can do some customization to the smoker. Is there anything y'all would recommend getting done? Heavier duty wheels, split second rack, gas fire starter (I've always used a pear burners in the past), charcoal grate for the main chamber, second temp gauge, etc?
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:02 pm

as far as upgrades, since all these pit makers are so pricey, i would suggest getting the basics done by the original maker and then go on craigslist to find independent welders looking for some small side jobs and have them do some of the bells and whistles work you want done just to save a few bucks. it also helps if you can provide the raw materials too. some place like triple s steel in houston where you can get small pieces is a great place to start. just my opinion.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 pm

riseabove50 wrote:as far as upgrades, since all these pit makers are so pricey, i would suggest getting the basics done by the original maker and then go on craigslist to find independent welders looking for some small side jobs and have them do some of the bells and whistles work you want done just to save a few bucks. it also helps if you can provide the raw materials too. some place like triple s steel in houston where you can get small pieces is a great place to start. just my opinion.

Save your pennies forget the extras and have Jose build you a 24"x 48". ;)

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jammoney USER_AVATAR
jammoney
Wrangler

Postby jammoney » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:53 am

+1
Texanick
Pilgrim

Postby Texanick » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 am

I can't go to the 24x48, but could probably go to 20x48. My concern on adding length is having a large difference in temp from one end to the other. Would y'all recommend a 20x48 or 24x36 (the 24x36 is a few hundred dollars more, I think).

I normally won't smoke more than a brisket, few beer can chickens, and some sausage at once. Or a couple turkeys at Thanksgiving.

If I go to 20x48, would y'all suggest double doors?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:15 am

Texanick wrote:I can't go to the 24x48, but could probably go to 20x48. My concern on adding length is having a large difference in temp from one end to the other. Would y'all recommend a 20x48 or 24x36 (the 24x36 is a few hundred dollars more, I think).

I normally won't smoke more than a brisket, few beer can chickens, and some sausage at once. Or a couple turkeys at Thanksgiving.

If I go to 20x48, would y'all suggest double doors?

Length and diameter make for a more stable cooking chamber. My back yard offset is a 24" x 36" Many times I wish I had added the extra 6" when building her.
I would go a single door on a 20" x 48"

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”