Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:59 pm

marvda1 wrote:
Txdragon wrote:I'm torn between an old country and oklahoma joe. I have had the OK joe and loved it. The old country looks even beefier than the joe BUT, it also appears to be all welded up. I can't haul that in either of my vehicles given we have a honda civic and mazda 6.. lol

rent a truck from home depot. then you could buy my old country

For what it would cost me to get this one used from you, (uhaul/home depot rental+fuel and mileage+price of pit), I could get a brand new one from academy right up the road from me 8)
(Insert witty signature here)
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Chasdev wrote:Not quite the same thing as setting lobe centers on a 15,000 rpm Yamaha or measuring bearing clearances at just above .001.
Only reason I posted up too much info is because guys with top end smokers don't need to go through the extra baby sitting these Peco's require and I seek, if possible, to shorten his learning curve.
I know mine was steep, and tossing "how to" questions at the high skill level and high quality smoker level users around here may or may not produce readily useful tips for a guy in my (former newbie) position running an entry level (but legit) stick burner.
I'm stuck with mine, it will be here until it falls into bits, and I have a handle now on how to drive it, and it DOES produce good food, just with more than a little effort.

I appreciate your insight. I've only been smoking for about a year now, and literally got this smoker on Tuesday. Let's me know what I might be in for this evening.

How's that brisket this afternoon?
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:48 am

It's in the fridge now waiting on this afternoons feast..darn thing was still 145/150 internal after 6 hours resting wrapped up in the cooler!
I did sneak a few bites and it was very good!
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:14 am

Chasdev wrote:It's in the fridge now waiting on this afternoons feast..darn thing was still 145/150 internal after 6 hours resting wrapped up in the cooler!
I did sneak a few bites and it was very good!

:cheers: :chef:
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 pm

I've got this smoker too. It takes putzing with throughout the smoking process. I use 12" ceramic tiles wrapped in foil as tuning plates. I've cut some down with my wet saw for assorted sizes. The tinkering is all part of the fun. I could buy a pellet, set it, go to bed, wake up 8 hours later and it's done. Wheres the artistry in that? I'm no artist....yes I am. :lol:
~Aaron
garret01
Pilgrim

Postby garret01 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm

BluDawg wrote:I have a OC Over Under one thing that I found with OC is the Plate/Grate in the firebox wont let the ash drop away and tends to smother the fire on long cooks. I built a Rack for mine out of Round stock & AI and it solved the problem. Otherwise for the money you can't do any better than OC for a BYP in that price range.

BluDawg, I just bought one of these this weekend. Plan on a test drive Friday. I'm an old Webber Smokey Mountain guy, so this is my first pit smoker. Been all over the internet trying to find the answer to this question...

What the heck is the flapper for between the firebox and cook chamber? There is a handle on the side of my smoker that operates this flapper but there is no way to lock it into position. Is it just for cleaning purposes? Will the smoke still travel through to the cook chamber with it closed (no way to keep it open)?
Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Has anyone tried a baffle/convection plate for the Pecos? I have seen one made by Horizon and a few others but dont know if they fit correctly and work well with this model. They claim to minimize uneven heat temps and seem like a better drop in option than tuning plates

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/access ... tion-plate

https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker-mo ... uning.html

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I bought a tuning plate from horizon when I had a brazos, just measure the width of your heat baffle and buy the plate that fits.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby Hoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pm

marvda1 wrote:I bought a tuning plate from horizon when I had a brazos, just measure the width of your heat baffle and buy the plate that fits.
Okay thanks, the Brazos is a little better built than the Pecos but did it help with uneven heat temps at all?

marvda1
Wrangler

Re: RE: Re: Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby marvda1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Hoop wrote:
marvda1 wrote:I bought a tuning plate from horizon when I had a brazos, just measure the width of your heat baffle and buy the plate that fits.
Okay thanks, the Brazos is a little better built than the Pecos but did it help with uneven heat temps at all?

it did but I also found using smaller splits of wood allowed me to control temps better.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 am

Just a follow up. I just ordered the Horizon convection plate this morning, talked to customer service and should hopefully be here by Friday in time for this weekends cook. Im hoping it will help even out the temps, if so I will post pics and results for others that might be considering doing the same

Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 am

Horizon convection plate showed up the next day, phenomenal help from the Horizon staff, could not ask for better service. This thing is an absolute game changer on this smoker, within minutes of adjusting it I am now running between 0-10 degree difference end to end according to my Maverick. If you have the Pecos and are tired if fighting uneven temps I highly recommend on of them [THUMBS UP SIGN] ImageImage

pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 am

Down_South wrote:I've got this smoker too. It takes putzing with throughout the smoking process. I use 12" ceramic tiles wrapped in foil as tuning plates. I've cut some down with my wet saw for assorted sizes. The tinkering is all part of the fun. I could buy a pellet, set it, go to bed, wake up 8 hours later and it's done. Wheres the artistry in that? I'm no artist....yes I am.

Exactly! Why I love BBQ so much as it feeds my OCD and my need to tinker!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Hoop you still happy with the Horizon Mod? I'm thinking of the getting a Pecos and of course anything to make it easier I'm all about.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Raider18 wrote:Hoop you still happy with the Horizon Mod? I'm thinking of the getting a Pecos and of course anything to make it easier I'm all about.
Yessir I am, it has been phenomenal and imo is a must for this smoker. The one solid piece slides in/out easily for moving the smoker or cleaning and makes adjustments very easy as opposed to multiple tuning plates. The Pecos has definite hotspots, but with this I run an average of 0-5 degrees difference across the grate at all times, it is the only upgrade/mod I have done to this smoker and it has put out some killer Q. IDK how well it performs on other brands/models, but if your gonna get the Pecos I cannot recommend this product enough

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”