Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

islandjohnnie USER_AVATAR
islandjohnnie
Pilgrim

Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby islandjohnnie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

I am looking at an Old Country Pecos smoker. Price is good and seem like it will hold its heat pretty well. Anyone cook on one that can guide me.
Not all those who wander are lost. :coolnana:

Big Green Egg (Large)
KCBS Certified Judge
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Old Country Pecos Any thoughts?

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

I've got one. For its price I don't think you can do any better in the store bought pits. Go to Lowes or Home Depot & knock on the pits they sell. You can tell a difference in the OCP.

Look closely at the welds on the one you get to make sure you don't see any openings. Also check it over to make sure you get everything advertised with it.

Just like any other pit you gotta learn it. I mounted grate level thermometers on mine. Take your time and don't get frustrated with it.

Learn what size logs it likes. I've had the best luck with logs in the 10 - 12 inch range. Started with 1/2 chimney of charcoal. It needs a log about every 45 minutes.

Watch the Aaron Franklin YouTube videos. He is using a pecos in his back yard and gives up excellent tips.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
islandjohnnie USER_AVATAR
islandjohnnie
Pilgrim

Postby islandjohnnie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks bsooner, It looks like a good smoker. I like the thick metal on the wrangler but like the size of the Pecos.
Happy smoking!
Not all those who wander are lost. :coolnana:

Big Green Egg (Large)
KCBS Certified Judge
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I've got one. For its price I don't think you can do any better in the store bought pits. Go to Lowes or Home Depot & knock on the pits they sell. You can tell a difference in the OCP.

Look closely at the welds on the one you get to make sure you don't see any openings. Also check it over to make sure you get everything advertised with it.

Just like any other pit you gotta learn it. I mounted grate level thermometers on mine. Take your time and don't get frustrated with it.

Learn what size logs it likes. I've had the best luck with logs in the 10 - 12 inch range. Started with 1/2 chimney of charcoal. It needs a log about every 45 minutes.

Watch the Aaron Franklin YouTube videos. He is using a pecos in his back yard and gives up excellent tips.

Good luck!

I just picked up a Pecos from Academy thanks to some recommendations in another thread. What modifications have you done/plan to do? If any.

The guy at the store said the firebox was way too deep and that I should put fire brick under the rack that's in the bottom of the firebox.
Thoughts?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 am

I've managed just fine using the plate they provide for the firebox. Just a matter of learning how it likes the fire.

I do best using a bed of charcoal and then adding 3 sticks of the B&B wood sold at Tom Thumb. Then I add a stick as temps start to fall. Not sure why the B&B works better than others. It's partly due to it being just the right size.

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:08 am

I have a OC Over Under one thing that I found with OC is the Plate/Grate in the firebox wont let the ash drop away and tends to smother the fire on long cooks. I built a Rack for mine out of Round stock & AI and it solved the problem. Otherwise for the money you can't do any better than OC for a BYP in that price range.

Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm

BluDawg wrote:I have a OC Over Under one thing that I found with OC is the Plate/Grate in the firebox wont let the ash drop away and tends to smother the fire on long cooks. I built a Rack for mine out of Round stock & AI and it solved the problem. Otherwise for the money you can't do any better than OC for a BYP in that price range.

I'm typically cooking for 8-12 hours. So I should probably look at some sort of apparatus to elevate the fire.

Thanks.
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I've managed just fine using the plate they provide for the firebox. Just a matter of learning how it likes the fire.

I do best using a bed of charcoal and then adding 3 sticks of the B&B wood sold at Tom Thumb. Then I add a stick as temps start to fall. Not sure why the B&B works better than others. It's partly due to it being just the right size.

How big are the pieces? (I don't have Tom Thumb)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:18 pm

at Academy
i still consider it the best store bought stick burner you can buy
it's important to examine and pick the one you want
no warped lids, or bad seams
you can't beat it for $400

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Breaking her in...
I need to come up a name.
Attachments
image.jpeg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 am

BladeRunner wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]I've managed just fine using the plate they provide for the firebox. Just a matter of learning how it likes the fire.

How big are the pieces? (I don't have Tom Thumb)[/quote]

Sorry, just now seeing this. I'll try to measure one when I get home.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm torn between an old country and oklahoma joe. I have had the OK joe and loved it. The old country looks even beefier than the joe BUT, it also appears to be all welded up. I can't haul that in either of my vehicles given we have a honda civic and mazda 6.. lol
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

bsooner75 wrote:[quote="BladeRunner"][quote="bsooner75"]I've managed just fine using the plate they provide for the firebox. Just a matter of learning how it likes the fire.

How big are the pieces? (I don't have Tom Thumb)[/quote]

Sorry, just now seeing this. I'll try to measure one when I get home.

Twitter handle @bsooner75[/quote]

10 - 12"

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Txdragon wrote:I'm torn between an old country and oklahoma joe. I have had the OK joe and loved it. The old country looks even beefier than the joe BUT, it also appears to be all welded up. I can't haul that in either of my vehicles given we have a honda civic and mazda 6.. lol

They don't make the Oklahoma Joes like they used to. Just give it the knock test and then do the same to the Old Country.

The OC is heavy but it will last.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
They don't make the Oklahoma Joes like they used to. Just give it the knock test and then do the same to the Old Country.

The OC is heavy but it will last.

My first OK Joe was about 2 years ago. Did they change quality control since then? If not, it was a great rig.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”