Matt's BBQ Pits

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

coyotemando
Pilgrim

Re: Matt's BBQ Pits

Postby coyotemando » Thu May 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Man guys, I'm buying the hog pit.....never saw them in person. ...hope I'm happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
randy s USER_AVATAR
Randy S
Pilgrim

Postby Randy S » Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 pm

You having it shipped? How long till you have it in hand?
MattsBBQPits
Pilgrim

Postby MattsBBQPits » Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi!, check out our website at www.rivercottagetables.com to see more of MATT'S BBQ PITS. We are also on YOUTUBE (Matt's Jumbo Firebox pit, Matt's Fine Tune 2048 Smoker and Matt's BBQ Pits Boss Hogg)*
MATT'S BBQ PITS, LLC. Pipe Creek, TX. Heavy Duty Pits Texas Built.
Pat Strawn
Pilgrim

Postby Pat Strawn » Mon May 23, 2016 6:21 am

I bought the 2454 and LOVE it!!!. The design is perfect and is easy to use. I can't think of any way to improve it. The counter weights are set just right. My wife can open it with no problem and she only weighs 90lbs. Matt hit a home run with this one.
coyotemando
Pilgrim

Postby coyotemando » Mon May 30, 2016 8:50 pm

I picked up the pit on Saturday seasoned the pit at 175 degrees for 6 hours, So, yesterday i made 3 racks of beef ribs, 2 pork loins, and chicken leg quarters. Man, all i can say is that I'm super happy with everything, temperature control was very precise and easy to manage, 4 hours at 225 degrees=goodness. One poster said he didn't like welds, my opinion is pretty welding doesn't necessarily equal greatness. They aren't perfect, but the pit cooks tight and right. Slide-out grills are excellent, The integrated tables were super handy. This pit (hog model) with the square fire box has impressed me, i definitely will recommend it to anybody who is looking for a great backyard barbecuing machine. BTW I didn't get upgrade on the wheels and they were just fine, more sturdy than I thought they would be. I can't wait to make some brisket now!!! That is my two cents from Blanco Texas.

coyotemando
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Matt's BBQ Pits

Postby coyotemando » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Randy S wrote:You having it shipped? How long till you have it in hand?

I'm still new to Tapatalk So I responded but didn't reply to your post I replied to the whole thread. That said I'm super happy with it definitely recommend getting the hog model or any other for that matter really like the square Firebox for sure

TXTundra
Pilgrim

Postby TXTundra » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:13 pm

I just got a 2454 from Matt a couple months back. I looked at gator pits in houston, helotes pits, lifetyme and a few more. Once you get in that price range they all looked pretty good in their own way, it just depends on what YOU want in a bbq pit. I ran across Matts bbq pits in pipe creek and went to see him and check out his work. He had just finished a 2454 for a customer so i looked it over very well. It was honestly the best pit for what I was looking for. Although i found it to be the best value over all the others, i really didnt care how much it cost. It was what I was looking for. The big sale for me was the firebox since its huge and I can grill on it. ALL other fire boxes were smaller limiting my grilling and I didnt want to buy another nice pit for grilling if I didnt have to. I have now smoked ribs, pork butt, chicken and other stuff on this reverse flow 2454 and eveytime it has come through with flying colors. This is a big heavy pit and I upgraded the firebox to 3/8 steel and also big steel wheels. This IS my dream pit and it works great. It loves to sit about 215 degrees which really made me happy. Put to rest any negative comments...this pit is bad tail, well made and unreal value. Zero complaints so far.
randy s USER_AVATAR
Randy S
Pilgrim

Postby Randy S » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 am

TXTundra wrote:I just got a 2454 from Matt a couple months back. I looked at gator pits in houston, helotes pits, lifetyme and a few more. Once you get in that price range they all looked pretty good in their own way, it just depends on what YOU want in a bbq pit. I ran across Matts bbq pits in pipe creek and went to see him and check out his work. He had just finished a 2454 for a customer so i looked it over very well. It was honestly the best pit for what I was looking for. Although i found it to be the best value over all the others, i really didnt care how much it cost. It was what I was looking for. The big sale for me was the firebox since its huge and I can grill on it. ALL other fire boxes were smaller limiting my grilling and I didnt want to buy another nice pit for grilling if I didnt have to. I have now smoked ribs, pork butt, chicken and other stuff on this reverse flow 2454 and eveytime it has come through with flying colors. This is a big heavy pit and I upgraded the firebox to 3/8 steel and also big steel wheels. This IS my dream pit and it works great. It loves to sit about 215 degrees which really made me happy. Put to rest any negative comments...this pit is bad tail, well made and unreal value. Zero complaints so far.

How did you lay out your tuning plates? I put mine next to each other (edges touching) from the firebox almost to the left end. I left one plate out at the left end and overlapped the last two, so I have about 1 1/2 plate width opening at the left end. Pit runs @ 225° side to side pretty steady and even. I've put a few more sticks in the box and cooked @ 275°, but haven't run it hotter than that.
TXTundra
Pilgrim

Postby TXTundra » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Ive got all the plates in, end to end. Might try taking last one out as you say. I like the way you can move plates around if desired. I'll be cookin baby backs on it tomorrow :lol:
DallasBBQ Dr
Pilgrim

Postby DallasBBQ Dr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:54 pm

I looked a long time to find a BBQ pit that I liked. I decided the best idea was to find somebody who already had a design that suited my needs. I decide this after going to several local Dallas pit builders and looking at pictures of their designs, no one had any set models or inventory to look at. After finding Matts BBQ pits I knew I liked his square fire box design the best. It's a good design that incorporates a slide out grate for grilling. All other square box designs I saw had the grate recessed down inside the box making it inconvenient to pull out the meat. So I called Matts BBQ and was able to speak to both Matt and his wife who were both helpful in guiding me in making my decision (jumbo firebox pit) . After I decided what pit design I wanted I knew that I had to drive to Pipe Creek TX to take a look at the pit I would be investing in. So Matt and Renee told me I could come look at the pits and gave me the hours I could visit, which were very flexible.
On August 6th my girlfriend and I arrived at Matts house and were able to look at five different models as follows:fine tune 2454, 2454 grilling pit,fine tune 2048,fine tune 2040, and the Hog Pit Smoker.
All of the pits seemed to be well built and were assembled with precession cut pieces. Matt offers an incredible value in a pit! Many of his competitors offer similar pits for more money with fewer features. Almost all of his competitors charge more money for features such as slide-out grates, tuning plates, and the one I especially like the large wrap around shelf which will most certainly hold a tray full of ribs or a brisket and several BBQ accessories. The wheels on his pit work especially well for my purposes because my patio is made from exposed aggregate and it's very bumpy. I like the rubber wheels! Several people have commented on the quality of the welds I found this to be something of no concern. I currently own a lifetime smoker and have also seen many other pit builds by several other companies, and Matts welds are comparable. The only other thing to say about that is welds don't make good BBQ, guys that know how to use their pits do. Also, Matt was willing to make modifications to my pit so I changed the location of the thermometers, flanged the fire box door, removed one of the vents from the fire box door, had him change the slide out grate, and add a hook to the grease drain. Matt did all these things willingly and I got what I wanted. So, in the end, i gave Matt a deposit and he has almost completed my pit as the pictures demonstrate. I will be picking it up soon and I am looking forward to using it.
Attachments
Grill 2.jpg
Grill 2.jpg (179.28 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Grill 3.jpg
Grill 3.jpg (161.43 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Grill.jpg
Grill.jpg (164.45 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
randy s USER_AVATAR
Randy S
Pilgrim

Postby Randy S » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:10 am

While he's welding on it, have him weld a spring handle on the tab that secures the firebox door. Makes opening it to add splits a lot more comfortable. :D I added one to that tab as well as my main air intake tab.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
MattsBBQPits
Pilgrim

Postby MattsBBQPits » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:46 pm

CHECK US OUT ON ESSENTIAL HARDWARE'S BLOG:

Copy and paste following link in browser:

http://bit.ly/2c8h6eH

MATT'S BBQ PITC, LLC.
Pipe Creek, TX
MATT'S BBQ PITS, LLC. Pipe Creek, TX. Heavy Duty Pits Texas Built.
jeddunn
Pilgrim

Postby jeddunn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm

I know its been a while on this thread, but thats the point of my post. Most reviews of Matt's are of folks who have recently bought one. Now that you have had it for a while, what do you think? How does it cook? Would you recommend them? I am looking at a purchase myself. Thanks
randy s USER_AVATAR
Randy S
Pilgrim

Postby Randy S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Still enjoying mine; it cooks like a boss! I cooked six slabs of back ribs, two pork shoulders and a 14 lb packer brisket for the 4th and it all came out great. Wouldn't change anything from my initial impressions and would still buy it.
Missfuego
Pilgrim

Postby Missfuego » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Reviews were lacking on these pits, but I went for one anyway after seeing the quality in person. Matt was great to work with, and he customized my pit exactly how I wanted it. Really happy with my purchase of the 2048.

Matt has made some adjustments to the design that I want to mention. He swapped out the wheels for larger steel ones, added a baffle plate to the firebox, and changed the handle on the firebox door.

I've got the stack off in the picture since I'm seasoning it in my garage.

IMG_0644.JPG

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”