Just Bought A Yoder Loaded Wichita

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Re: Just Bought A Yoder Loaded Wichita

Postby Dirty Dawg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:08 pm

I created a monster. If I could delete this thread I happily would as it’s been transformed from a joyful celebration to a dog fest. I don’t cook on my Yoder a lot these days (got a bigger cooker) but it has never once let me down or failed to produce quality results. It boils down to how you approach your cooks. There’s the light it and cook approach and there’s the light it and obsess approach. I prefer the former.
Darkfix
Pilgrim

Postby Darkfix » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:45 pm

@ Dirty Dwag

I don't think you created a "monster"...
You created an random thread topic that evolved into something else that you thought.

I think Slamkeys did a great job... Not destroying "your" thread but have some great input and invested lots of time to actually have some very useful information about the Wichita smoker.
Maybe he is right, maybe not... But it's for sure a very deep testing he did on the Wichita, and remember Yoder did improve their smoker design.
If he was totally wrong it would not have happened...
And they also did delete all post he did at the Yoder forum...

So Yes there are a problem with Wichita.
Not saying it's broken, but there is for sure room for improvement from Yoder.

I was about to buy a Wichita, and I will go with the Kingman instead...
If I had bought an Wichita, and had all those problems that most people have, I would have it returned and asked for my money back.
Now I probably will be and happy Yoder customer instead.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:I created a monster. If I could delete this thread I happily would as it’s been transformed from a joyful celebration to a dog fest.

As I said back on page 4... This should have been broken into two separate threads IMHO.

Glad you're still plugging away with the Wichita and glad you're still cooking in general.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Hijacking a thread is hijacking a thread; this absolutely should have been a separate post. I’ll add that I do wish I’d bought a Kingman but only for the additional space.

I’m still cooking, catering a bit, working toward a full-on bbq business, and it all started with my Loaded Wichita. Enough said.
Darkfix
Pilgrim

Postby Darkfix » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Totally agree that best would be to split it.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:After spending far too long debating the merits of any number of offset smoker manufacturers and models, I finally pulled the trigger on a Yoder Loaded Wichita. Yes, there were aspects of other smokers I preferred but this one ticked most of the boxes and had the shortest delivery window at 6-7 weeks where other manufacturers were 18 weeks and beyond. In addition, I'm really intrigued by their heat management system and was throughly impressed with their materials and welds (having been a machinist/welder many moons ago.)

So, if others of you have advice please fire away. The good news is I've got plenty of time to make my backyard ready for the new addition and lay in some wood too.

Can't wait.
I don't really get the "hijacking" claim either, considering you didn't even have the Wichita in your possession when you started the thread, and you specifically called out the heat management system and weld quality, and then asked for advice. As an owner who actually spent time using the Wichita, I had recent experience with bad welds and flow issues due to the heat management system. I didn't realize all "advice" had to be glowing. If my experience had been stellar I would never have "Googled" for Wichita issues in the first place, which is what led me here.

Add me to the list of people who wish they'd bought a Kingman instead.

Go ahead and delete the thread, that seems to be the trend right now.
Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Why am I not surprised you don’t get it?

Believe me, if it were within my power this thread would be gone already. Might be wise to start a thread specific to your observations. Or maybe that’s too much trouble?
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 am

Dirty Dawg wrote:Why am I not surprised you don’t get it?

Believe me, if it were within my power this thread would be gone already. Might be wise to start a thread specific to your observations. Or maybe that’s too much trouble?
I can empty out all my posts on this thread if it'd make you happy. I did start a new thread here after Yoder deleted it from their site: http://texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=31199
Big Green Egg 2014
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I can empty out all my posts on this thread if it'd make you happy. I did start a new thread here after Yoder deleted it from their site: http://texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=31199

While I do appreciate the offer and have considered removing my posts as well, that would leave us with a nonsensical thread that I suppose would then have to be addressed by moderators. It appears there is no simple, effective response.
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:While I do appreciate the offer and have considered removing my posts as well, that would leave us with a nonsensical thread that I suppose would then have to be addressed by moderators. It appears there is no simple, effective response.

That's exactly how the Yoder forum threads ended up - nonsensical. They have responses to deleted posts all over the place, not to mention they didn't allow anyone to fix their photo links after the Photobucket ransom debacle, so many of the photos are missing too.

I think a mod could just take all the posts after my initial post and move them to a separate thread, since I hijacked the thread 5 months after it went dormant (Apr 26 to Sept 30). We'd have to give it a new title, something like "Just Bought a Yoder Loaded Wichita - Tarantino Version."

At least you can claim ownership of the longest thread on this site. There must be some prize for that! :out:
Big Green Egg 2014
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 am

Darkfix wrote:I was about to buy a Wichita, and I will go with the Kingman instead...
The things I find on YouTube are simply amazing. This guy bought a Kingman with a square firebox and a competition cart, and after many cooks and "learning his cooker" he has decided he needs to use a fan to keep this thing flowing when there is no wind outside. You can't make this stuff up folks. With the comp cart he can move it around easily to take advantage of the prevailing winds, but on still days he needs a fan.

Anybody else have the need to use a fan to keep things moving? I'll bet that stings a little when it starts raining...

Big Green Egg 2014
freddie987
Pilgrim

Postby freddie987 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 am

Link?
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 am

About 7 minutes in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWRL0xTbrBE

When he opens the firebox it looks like there's a fair amount of back pressure because smoke comes pouring out of it. I also noticed when he opens the cooker there is a surprising lack of smoke inside it. That square firebox might not flow as good as the round one.

When he first started using that Kingman he did the entire brisket cook on it, but now he transfers the meat to his YS640 to finish it off so he can sleep while it's cooking.
Big Green Egg 2014
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:39 pm

You’ve missed a golden opportunity to start the Why I Hate Yoder thread.
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Dirty Dawg wrote:You’ve missed a golden opportunity to start the Why I Hate Yoder thread.
I just wanted to make sure Darkfix orders a fan for his Kingman so he'll be prepared when it arrives. :dont:
Big Green Egg 2014

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”