How much wood to smoke a 12 hour brisket?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

beerent USER_AVATAR
beerent
Pilgrim

How much wood to smoke a 12 hour brisket?

Postby beerent » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 am

I am looking on getting a 1/2 cord, but I am wondering if this is far too much to start? How much wood does one typically go through during one cooking session. I dont need exacts, but are we talking 10 logs or 25?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: How much wood to smoke a 12 hour brisket?

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 am

It would help if we know what you are cooking on.
My big cooker 250 gall. propane tank. will go through about 12 to 15 splits in twelve hours.
My little cooker 24" x 55" goes through about 3 to 5 splits cut in half in twelve hours.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
beerent USER_AVATAR
beerent
Pilgrim

Postby beerent » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:20 pm

k.a.m. wrote:It would help if we know what you are cooking on.
My big cooker 250 gall. propane tank. will go through about 12 to 15 splits in twelve hours.
My little cooker 24" x 55" goes through about 3 to 5 splits cut in half in twelve hours.

That's a great point. I just got it and I don't know the exact dimensions, but I imagine the verticle part where you put the meat is 24" x 24" x ~50". the smoke box must me 20" x 20" x 20". Those dimensions are guesses, but I think you can get the picture. Also, based on your post i figure 10 would me more than enough logs. So to start I probably don't need a 1/2 cord.

Thank you.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

To start 1/4 cord is going to last you a long time. If your buying firewood keep in mind with a firebox that size you may have to split the wood into slightly smaller pieces. Also you may end up cutting down the length or the wood sticks depending on how long they are. The average length I see is about 18".
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:48 pm

For the weekend cooker a 1/2 cord roughly one truck load will last a long time especially if you find you need to cut the splits in half as Finatic mentioned. Between competing, benefits and some close catering we go through about a cord to a cord and a half a year.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:44 pm

This is a question that doesn't really have a set answer. There are too many variables to consider even if we did know your cooker :dont: There's the temp you're trying to reach, how drafty or choked is your pit, outdoor temps, what you're cooking, wood you're using, how wet is the wood you're using, water pan(s) used, barometric pressure, saturn's orbit around... Ummm, You get the idea! I have a char griller offset right now that I used to have once before and it operates tremendously different from my first one. It goes through wood like a lwanmower through gas. I cut down a white oak in my back yard that yielded me about 60 logs 12 inches long, 8 inches across. Each of those net me 4 perfect wedge splits. 240 splits. I have gone through almost all 240 splits in near 2 months at 2 smokes a week.
(Insert witty signature here)
Hegemon
Pilgrim

Postby Hegemon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 am

New guy question to bring this back to life... I've been reading/watching/studying smoking for a month now and am almost convinced this is going to be my mid-life crisis (which sucks, because I thought my mid-life crisis would involve an old Mustang).

Anyways, I'm about to buy everything I need to do my first smoke (getting an Old County BBQ Pecos offset smoker) but still trying to decide on my wood source. I live in Virginia and don't have easy access to Pine Oak--yes, I read Franklin's book--so I think I'm going to order from Fruita.

Here's my question: Will a 50 pound box of post oak splits last me for an entire 12 hour brisket session? 2 sessions? 5? It's pretty expensive but I'm in if I can make it last for 2 smokes. Hope this makes sense...Thanks!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 am

Hegemon wrote:New guy question to bring this back to life... I've been reading/watching/studying smoking for a month now and am almost convinced this is going to be my mid-life crisis (which sucks, because I thought my mid-life crisis would involve an old Mustang).

Anyways, I'm about to buy everything I need to do my first smoke (getting an Old County BBQ Pecos offset smoker) but still trying to decide on my wood source. I live in Virginia and don't have easy access to Pine Oak--yes, I read Franklin's book--so I think I'm going to order from Fruita.

Here's my question: Will a 50 pound box of post oak splits last me for an entire 12 hour brisket session? 2 sessions? 5? It's pretty expensive but I'm in if I can make it last for 2 smokes. Hope this makes sense...Thanks!

Welcome! The only real answer to this question is you can only hope it lasts as long as you intend it to. 50lbs of splits doesn't say much really. If they are like my usual split; 1/4 of a 12"x8" log, then 50lbs of those isn't gonna go far at all. As I said here in my above post, I went through 240 splits in 8 weeks, 2 smokes a week. I'm not entirely sure how the Pecos runs as I have no personal experience. I have had a close look at them however, and see that they could be a bit better at retaining heat than my OK Joe.
Rambling aside, it's a crapshoot and a guess, at best.
(Insert witty signature here)
Hegemon
Pilgrim

Postby Hegemon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:11 am

Awesome, thanks a lot! My gut was that 50 pounds isn't enough, as well, and you've pretty much validated that. There are two reputable places near me that sell seasoned, not kiln dried, white oak. It's in the same family as post oak so I think I'll go with them. Thanks! I'll let y'all know how it goes!
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 am

I've learned from experience that guys selling "seasoned' or 'dry" wood often times don't know or don't care if the wood they are selling you is dry or seasoned.
Most sellers are peddling fireplace wood not cooking/smoking wood and have no need to know or learn what it is that you need.
Buy a cheap moisture meter and have them cut a stick in half so you can test a fresh cut to see how dry it is.
You need around 20% water content, much lower than 15 is too dry and much over 25 is too wet.
You will notice a difference in how it burns and how the smoke smells.
Also, buying wet or not quite cured wood and letting it cure has it's own drawbacks unless you have a good tight woodshed.
My cord of supposedly seasoned wood took two years to be almost ready to use and even though I had it sitting in a proper metal framed wood rack under a water proof zippered cover made for the purpose, I ended up providing a very nice snug home for rats and wood roaches which took me 6 months to eradicate after giving away the wood and rack setup.
My wife does NOT like rats/mice/roaches in the back yard.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 am

I just ordered 1/2 cord of post oak and it should be here today. Paid 160 delivered. If its not seasoned then well I guess ill season it. But Im hoping it last long since I dont smoke as often. So if its not seasoned to what I like then Ill just slowly use it anyways. Smoking 2 briskets this saturday. I very excited.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 am

I can run my highly inefficient stick burner with half a cord for like 3 days straight. Usually go through a bag to a bag and a half of the Academy Sports pecan in a 50 gallon sack for a brisket cook.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 am

rickhdz36 wrote:I just ordered 1/2 cord of post oak and it should be here today. Paid 160 delivered. If its not seasoned then well I guess ill season it. But Im hoping it last long since I dont smoke as often. So if its not seasoned to what I like then Ill just slowly use it anyways. Smoking 2 briskets this saturday. I very excited.

If it is still a little moist just cook a bit hotter.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:27 am

Half a cord would be a wood pallet full stacked 4 high.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:40 am

Post oak is much more forgiving IMHO than say red or pin oak..I had fewer issues with it (when I could find it) than any other oak I tried.
Take a picture of what you get so we can see if you get post or another flavor..

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”