Offset Smokers...why doors on both sides

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Phil d
Pilgrim

Offset Smokers...why doors on both sides

Postby Phil d » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:17 pm

I am a very experienced BBQ guy but mostly with vertical smokers (backwoods) and a few custom ones.

Am serious about buying an offset rig and looking seriously at Meadow Creek. Here is my question. Why do some offsets have doors on both sides of the smoking chamber and some do not? Advantages, disadvantages?

Anyone have + or - experience with Meadow Creek. Looking at a TS250. The 250 has doors on both sides.

Thanks for your help.

Phil d
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Offset Smokers...why doors on both sides

Postby Txdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Convenience factor... 1 big, heavy door or 2 easier-to-manage doors ;) On another note, usually you'll see counter weights added on to the single door versions (providing they are larger pits).
(Insert witty signature here)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:19 pm

If you are referring to a cooker like a lang that has front and back door it is because the lower grates on a lang do not slide out and it is easier to work the meat with the back door. It also comes in handy when you are cooking curb side. Personally I would rather have slide outs and one door or a left and right on the same side.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
mitchtram USER_AVATAR
Mitchtram
Pilgrim

Postby Mitchtram » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Advantage to two doors: Weight as someone has already stated, also You don't loose as much heat if only opening one of the two smaller doors at a time.
Advantage of single door: Able to do really big meat, like a whole hog.
the midnight smoker USER_AVATAR
The MIdnight Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby The MIdnight Smoker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm interpreting your question the same as K.A.M did. If you are asking about doors on both the front and back side of the cooking chamber then as K.A.M. stated it makes getting to the meat much easier in a cooker such as a Lang whereas the bottom grates do not slide. Another advantage is it gives you the opportunity to turn your cooker so the firebox is facing into the breeze and still allowing you to work from either side.
Steve Whiting
The Midnight Smoker BBQ

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”