Rained on during cook- now what?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Rained on during cook- now what?

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

There are very few reasons in my life to complain about the rain... Except if it happens while I'm cooking.

So I was smoking yesterday and it just opened up a downpour on me.

Now I have some questions about how to take care of my pit now-
I've got what looked like pick marks on the top of the firebox. And the inside- it's like the seasoning I've done is cracking off.

What do I do to take care of my smoker? I've never had this happen.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Rained on during cook- now what?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:27 pm

BR, you think that's because the pit was hot when the rains came :?: :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:03 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:BR, you think that's because the pit was hot when the rains came :?: :scratch:

I'm certain. This was only my 4th cook on this pit... Just got it from Academy right before July 4th.

Also why I'm wanting to make sure I take care of it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:06 pm

you thinking it might be manufacture error on the skin :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:you thinking it might be manufacture error on the skin :?:

I think it happened from rapid cooling(?). Just don't know what to do.

The stuff inside the pit actually fell onto the grates after I'd pulled the meat. It was flakey.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:52 pm

I've got an Old Country from Academy and have cooked in the rain many times. Sounds like it might be some sort of defect. You should probably go to Academy and talk to a manager or call Old Country and talk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:00 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I've got an Old Country from Academy and have cooked in the rain many times. Sounds like it might be some sort of defect. You should probably go to Academy and talk to a manager or call Old Country and talk to them.

Could it be how I was cooking? I got up to 450-500 to keep the cool chamber at 250-275.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:40 am

BladeRunner wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]I've got an Old Country from Academy and have cooked in the rain many times. Sounds like it might be some sort of defect. You should probably go to Academy and talk to a manager or call Old Country and talk to them.

Could it be how I was cooking? I got up to 450-500 to keep the cool chamber at 250-275.[/quote]

Maybe it blistered? I'd still ask them

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 am

when you call the Manufacture don't forget to "casually" mentioned that you had asked around on a very popular BBQ Forum for any information and help and some of the members suggested you call the original owner :tup: :laughing7: :D :lol:
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:44 am

OldUsedParts wrote:when you call the Manufacture don't forget to "casually" mentioned that you had asked around on a very popular BBQ Forum for any information and help and some of the members suggested you call the original owner :tup: :laughing7: :D :lol:

That's not a bad idea. Just so they know, that I know it shouldn't be like this.

Thanks y'all. I thought I was going to have to get the sander or a sanding disc for my grinder... Then paint... Recite...
That would shut down production for a few weeks easy.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:54 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
Could it be how I was cooking? I got up to 450-500 to keep the cool chamber at 250-275.

This was going to be my 1st question. The coating on the inside will flake off it you get it too hot, mine does ALL the time because I get an initial fire to rival the blazes of H3LL to get a good coal bed. But I also keep the cook chamber closed whilst the fire is raging like a hormonal teen. The factory paint on a cooker will also not hold very well if you get too hot too fast. Resurface the outside with a good sand down and some VHT paint and re-season your interior. I don't care about the external of my pit currently since I bought it well over a year ago for 60 bucks and have put nearly a million miles on it, but I re-season the inside every few weeks.
(Insert witty signature here)
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm with Dragon on this one, I would brush the flake off the inside and coat with veg oil or spray with pam. Sand down the exterior or hit it with a wire brush and repaint with a good high temp paint. get a good burn in the fire box and then after its all cooled down I would coat the outside with vegetable oil too.
that will keep the water off too like turtle wax on your car ;)

you can do this all in a day or within six or seven beers.

Ric G.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:16 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:you can do this all in a day or within six or seven beers.
Ric G.

:texas: that's the way an Alamo City Texan keeps time :tup:
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:33 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I'm with Dragon on this one, I would brush the flake off the inside and coat with veg oil or spray with pam. Sand down the exterior or hit it with a wire brush and repaint with a good high temp paint. get a good burn in the fire box and then after its all cooled down I would coat the outside with vegetable oil too.
that will keep the water off too like turtle wax on your car ;)

you can do this all in a day or within six or seven beers.

Ric G.

Do you think a stiff wire brush would work for both of those? The flakes and the top of the firebox.

When you say 'good' high temp- do you have a brand or a preference? I've not had to use it before.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:20 am

Yes Sir, even a cheap hand wire brush or a cup brush on the end of a grinder. I use a hand brush that I get at home depot, I buy one to clean the pit and buy another to keep my grills clean after cooking. You can find these for less than five dollars.
As far as paint and like Txdragon stated VHT is a spray paint that is used to paint engines and comes in a variety of colors and is very high temp.
You can also get high temp paint specifically for BBQ smokers at most hardware stores in either a spray or brush on type.

Ric G.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”