Anyone with the Texas Original ?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Anyone with the Texas Original ?

Postby rus_bro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 am

Hey guys, I ran across a BBQ Store last weekend and of course had to stop in. They are selling the "texas original" smokers. They are the same company that makes the smokers at Buccee's. They can be had for a decent price and seem like a pretty good deal.

Anyone have any experience with the Texas Original "LULING" ? Seems to be made of all 1/4" and feels decently made. Have 2 racks, but the top rack is pretty slim (which is prefer a fuller top rack).

thanks
rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
FWL2579
Wrangler

Re: Anyone with the Texas Original ?

Postby FWL2579 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:40 pm

I am looking at getting one myself. Would love some feedback from someone who has one.
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis S-330
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Most of those styles come with a grate in the fb but really need a basket to work in the best and most efficient way. Also the stack looks a little slim but maybe will work since it is placed high,that helps. I have a Pitts n Spitts with a wider top rack but what a pain when you have a full bottom rack, imo that one in your picture is fine. Wider top racks are ok when the lower one slides out, jmo, I never have used my top rack but one time in six months, almost toasted my brisket too, way hotter up there lol. Good luck
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:05 pm

RWBTEX wrote:Most of those styles come with a grate in the fb but really need a basket to work in the best and most efficient way. Also the stack looks a little slim but maybe will work since it is placed high,that helps. I have a Pitts n Spitts with a wider top rack but what a pain when you have a full bottom rack, imo that one in your picture is fine. Wider top racks are ok when the lower one slides out, jmo, I never have used my top rack but one time in six months, almost toasted my brisket too, way hotter up there lol. Good luck

That is a great point. I have never thought about the top rack getting in the way. You may have just added another "wish" to the list, a sliding bottom rack to go with the top rack.

BTW.. reading around today, and it seems that these are almost the same prices as the JJ Pits.

Thanks for the thoughts.
rb
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:01 am

Yes most will be in the same price range when they are similar in size and option.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
FWL2579
Wrangler

Postby FWL2579 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 am

Anyone out there have anymore info on these pits?
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis S-330
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 pm

FWL2579 wrote:Anyone out there have anymore info on these pits?

https://texasoriginalpits.com/
(Insert witty signature here)
penguin
Pilgrim

Postby penguin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:24 am

I have a texas original pit. It is simpler to the pearsall model but has a single lid. Won it in a contest. Good build just like all the other higher quality builders.

I have 2 complaints about it. First the end door on the fire box is too small. Just used to being able to add wood and poke the fire from the end. Not a major problem.

The second complaint is a little worse. The door edges on the vertical chamber don't over hang. This creates a small 2-4 mm gap (I haven't actually measured it). I used rubber oven gaskets around the edges so it now holds heat and smoke.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 am

penguin wrote:I have a texas original pit. It is simpler to the pearsall model but has a single lid. Won it in a contest. Good build just like all the other higher quality builders.

I have 2 complaints about it. First the end door on the fire box is too small. Just used to being able to add wood and poke the fire from the end. Not a major problem.

The second complaint is a little worse. The door edges on the vertical chamber don't over hang. This creates a small 2-4 mm gap (I haven't actually measured it). I used rubber oven gaskets around the edges so it now holds heat and smoke.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

From looking over the pit previously, it seemed that it would have been a good recipient for a few of these...

THANKS for the info Penguin
rb
coque USER_AVATAR
COQue
Pilgrim

Postby COQue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:51 pm

I agree that the vertical chamber leaves a lot to be desired. It leaks like crazy and still does even with LavaLock gaskets installed. Overall , I'm happy cause it holds a temp quite well and the Que is good. Would not be my top choice but I got it new for 40 percent off and just couldn't pass it up!
Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio (current)
Texas Original Pits Pearsall 16", 1/4" inch thick, single door, patio (sold)
Chargriller 5050 with OFB (sold)
Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth, 4 Probes
Famili OT008 Digital thermometer, 2 probes

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”