Need help choosing between a Shirley Fabrication or Pitmaker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Need help choosing between a Shirley Fabrication or Pitmaker

Postby GRailsback » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 pm

verapx wrote:I'm going to talk to the guys at Klose while in Houston. I would need larger wheels than the 8" casters that are on mine now. I really would like to avoid having a trailer if possible. If Klose has a solution to make the pit roll on the lawn they go back on my list. I'm not sure about the third grate in the CC either. It may be simpler to just stick with 2 grates. I do want this next smoker to be my last smoker.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

I am just not sure what they have for wheel options. Rolling it on the lawn is that something that you would need to do a lot? Otherwise getting in back there one time is easy pickins.
notorious q.u.e. USER_AVATAR
Notorious Q.U.E.
Pilgrim

Postby Notorious Q.U.E. » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

For a lot of guys, they invest so much in their cooker that they'll stow it inside either a shed or garage. Then they roll it out to the launch pad for ideal drafting or next to their patio furniture.

Thus, I know it well: fire it up Friday night and stow Sunday night. I think that's why pit fabricators are seeing the need for wagon wheels and offering them as upgrades.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Traditional Door (3/8 thick CC and FB) Patio aka "Precious Metal"

"can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 am

"Launch pad" I like that [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Notorious Q.U.E.
Pilgrim

Postby Notorious Q.U.E. » Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am

Amen! It's like so much energy put into the space shuttle which had it's own shuttle pen and shuttle rover before it got transferred a couple miles to cape canaveral launch pad :)
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Traditional Door (3/8 thick CC and FB) Patio aka "Precious Metal"

"can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid."
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 pm

There are some things to consider when choosing your next offset.
1.) Flavor profiles will be different between a traditional offset and the reverse flow so if you do go with Paul and Tyler expect that change.
2.) If you like temps between 250° and 275° you will find that hard to maintain with a long sniper they are more of a 300° to 350° cooker unless you plan on running a blower system on it like a Guru.
I know Paul and Tyler's cookers and they are second to none if you are looking for a reverse flow cooker and if I could not build I would buy from them.
3.) Either cooker you buy with the dimensions you want will be a beast and need big pneumatic tires to be able to maneuver grass.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Fri May 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided on a Shirley 24x55 straight back cabinet w/warmer on a modified trailer. I am sticking with conventional offset rather than reverse flow. They will build me a 12" caster set up with a wagon wheel handle to fit in the removable tongue to ease moving it around in the yard.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for the follow up and Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Awesome. How long do you have to wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Sat May 13, 2017 7:24 am

I was told about 14 months
Notorious Q.U.E.
Pilgrim

Postby Notorious Q.U.E. » Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 am

I've got to get in line for a trailer. I love my patio but I think I've got to step up my capacity!

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 pm

verapx wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided on a Shirley 24x55 straight back cabinet w/warmer on a modified trailer. I am sticking with conventional offset rather than reverse flow. They will build me a 12" caster set up with a wagon wheel handle to fit in the removable tongue to ease moving it around in the yard.

Congratulations on your choice. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 am

What kind of different profile do you get with a reverse flow as opposed to the original offset stick burner? Just curious. I have been smoking on a reverse flow since I started cooking a few years back. Thanks. Go Spurs Go!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 am

Bockbock wrote:What kind of different profile do you get with a reverse flow as opposed to the original offset stick burner? Just curious. I have been smoking on a reverse flow since I started cooking a few years back. Thanks. Go Spurs Go!

On your reverse flow the juices are cooking off on the plate and coming back up to the meat. On a cooker with tuning plates this happens too but not as pronounced due to the gaps and the way the cooker drafts around the plates. On a conventional cooker the drippings go to the bottom of the chamber. You can taste the difference in the different styles not that any of them are better than the other it is just there.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”