is bigger better ???

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

blizzard USER_AVATAR
Blizzard
Pilgrim

is bigger better ???

Postby Blizzard » Wed May 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I've got some very light experience smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain, and I've also helped out with a pretty good sized trailer smoker on overnight cooking events for large parties.

But I'm nagged by a big question...Is bigger better? Will a large smoker do a better job on brisket than a small 18.5 smokey mountain like I have? Just the volume of smoke inside the cooking chamber and maintaining even heat? I can definitely see even heating being possible in a larger smoker.

But where is the break even? If I want to smoke 1 brisket, how small can I go and still expect to see a great plate of BBQ in the end? For example a 20 inch diameter offset, would 36 inches be long enough or is 40 even better? It's just 4 more inches after all....

Sorry for the long winded question but I don't see this discussed too often...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: is bigger better ???

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

In my opinion you cannot compare a WSM to a stick burner because the two have different flavor profiles. As far as large verse small offsets the larger the chamber the easier the cooker is to manage if it works properly and you know your fire management. As far as back yards go a 24" x 48" is ideal in my opinion.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
blizzard USER_AVATAR
Blizzard
Pilgrim

Postby Blizzard » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 pm

No I wasn't trying to compare the WSM to an offset. You did give me some thinking about size however. I think I agree with you about managing the fire and a larger cooking chamber will regulate itself easier.

The last overnight cooking event we smoked 16 briskets and then hot held while we cooked probably 30 racks of ribs. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the smoker, but it's pretty good sized.

I'm not looking for something that big, but I do want something to smoke a brisket or two and some ribs for say 25 people.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am

Blizzard wrote:...I'm not looking for something that big, but I do want something to smoke a brisket or two and some ribs for say 25 people.

Then you'll need what k.a.m. said.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”