Set It and Forget It: Electric/Gas Cabinet vs. Pellet?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Set It and Forget It: Electric/Gas Cabinet vs. Pellet?

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm

After my latest cook on an ECB (on a cold, rainy day) I starting to think about a rig that's more "set it and forget it." At the same time, I still want to get a reasonably smoky flavor.

Would a pellet smoker be the most versatile or is a gas or electric cabinet smoker good enough?

I welcome your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Set It and Forget It: Electric/Gas Cabinet vs. Pellet?

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat May 13, 2017 2:50 pm

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I've been Pelletizing on a Pit Boss 340 for a little over a year now and it is a learning process but not a hard one. I also bought one of those Amaz'n Smoke Units, however, ?IF? I'm doing a low and slow 4 - 5- 6 hour cook and can leave my Pellet Grill on 190/Smoke setting then I don't bother with the Axuillary Amazn pellet burner but "they do" add the smoky to your cook. To each his own but I really think you'd like a Pellet Grill once you get used to it. I also keep mine in the shop when not in use and I clean/vacuum the insides after "every" cook. Good Luck and BTW Academy Sports had the larger Pit Boss 820 for $499 not long ago so you might check them out if you have one in your area.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks guys.

It sounds like a pellet is a good compromise for me: trading off ease-of-use for lower intrinsic smoke generation.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Oakie was the one that really turned me onto that Amazn Smoke Adder and he was also the one that helped me decide to make the plunge into Pellet Grilling along with Papa Tom and others. No regrets here especially when the Family decides to invade our one and a half person daily menu :laughing7: :D :lol:

One more thing - - - my Grill is the smallest one they sell and I can easily do two racks of spares on it. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks OUP. That Pit Boss sounds like the size I'd be looking for.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I've been doing pellet smoking since before the turn of the century......without add on devices.
I created some add on smoke devices just to prove I can but only use them for cold smoking sausage and cheese.
Like OUP says if you do a low and slow cook most any pellet pit will be good. Never used one but the Rec Tec pit has a "Super Smoke" setting that works by fluctuating the combustion draft.

My incentive to get a pellet cooker way back then was like you an ECB. Have had several several stick burners during that time they are all gone but I still have my original Model "T" (but it has company now).
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”