Firebox interior rust

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sanchezwerx
Pilgrim

Firebox interior rust

Postby Sanchezwerx » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and still kinda new to smoking but I think I've pretty much got that down, still learning though. Anyway last year I bought a good smoker from a guy out in Arlington, I cleaned up the outside and painted it, and made a new table for it. I used it a few times and it smokes great, it's already seasoned pretty good but this past weekend I decided to clean out some of that old crust and and reseason it. My question is that the inside bottom of my firebox is rusted and I want to stop it from getting worse, is there anything I can do to stop it, a coating, or anything like that? Please let me know, thanks[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/28ab3e115ca12f242201f2b169e1f68b.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/404b3547e37d0c1d701e01ec77091ba1.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DerKoch
Rustler

Re: Firebox interior rust

Postby DerKoch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 am

There are some rust inhibiters but I would not use them inside the firebox or smoker because of the gases they will release when you fire it up. If you are not rusted through clean it with a wire brush and spray or brush it with a cheap vegetable oil. That will help. Do you have a basket for your fire or are you burning on the plate itself? If you don't have one get one and raise the fire an inch or so of the bottom. Then get a catch pan made or use an aluminum pan to catch your ashes. Then the biggest this never leaf your ashes in the smoker for more then a day.
If you need help with a basket or pan I build smokers and can help you out.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”