Firebox rust prevention

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sanchezwerx
Pilgrim

Firebox rust prevention

Postby Sanchezwerx » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Hello I'm new here, got a big smoker last year and and cleaned and refurbished her, made a new larger table and and gave her a fresh coat of paint. except for the inside bottom of the fireboxshes awesome, she rusting some and need to see if there's anything I can do to stop rust in the firebox [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/228089c64c31aa0cd5be8b4e37a9ae43.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/8ee4b2b335ad0cfe458111cffb920a06.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Firebox rust prevention

Postby limey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 am

Knock the rust off with a wire brush and season it with some type of cooking oil. Reseason after cooks. I use peanut oil on the first coat and then spray Pam after the cooks on it. I try not to use any type of paint or chemicals on the inside box or inside of cooking chamber.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:06 am

I agree with Limey if your'e going to put something in the firebox use Pam or some other type of cooking oil just before you fire up. Personally I do not I just make sure I clean her out a day or two later to get the ash out that is the #1 killer of fireboxes.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Sanchezwerx
Pilgrim

Postby Sanchezwerx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks guys that's kinda what I was thinking but I didn't know if there was something better out there. I sold bandsaw to this old guy last week and he told me to always get the ash out asap because it has lye in it and that is the real firebox killer. He also said the lye is great for trees. So now I'm thinking maybe I need to have someone weld up a removable wood tray with a "false bottom" in it for ash

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Would aluminum foil be out of the question for something like this :?: The reason I ask is because I always keep it in the charcoal pans of my ECB and the bottom of my Kettle. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sanchezwerx
Pilgrim

Postby Sanchezwerx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 pm

No not out of the question, I just want something a bit more permanent. I'm just not a big fan of foil. I may take some measurements for a pan and visit some restaurant supply stores and see if I can find something that will fit my needs

mojoejoejo
Pilgrim

Postby mojoejoejo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 pm

I just replaced my New Braunfels smoker after 15 years due to firebox finally rusting thru . With my new smoker I've cut a 24 '' piece of flashing sheet metal as a sacrificial bottom. It's cheap, much thicker than foil and easy to replace once a year,
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:11 pm

:?: is the flashing galvanized, if so, is it "Safe" for grilling and smoking with :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 am

Nope, keep the galv out of the firebox and for that matter the aluminum too, it also out gasses bad stuff according to the latest stuff I've read.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 am

limey wrote:Knock the rust off with a wire brush and season it with some type of cooking oil. Reseason after cooks. I use peanut oil on the first coat and then spray Pam after the cooks on it. I try not to use any type of paint or chemicals on the inside box or inside of cooking chamber.

^^^ This!!
I give mine a healthy veg oil rubdown after every use, when it's cool enough to touch, of course!
(Insert witty signature here)
DerKoch
Rustler

Postby DerKoch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:13 am

Two things I do to keep it from rusting.
Get a basket for you're wood or charcoal fire and get it of the floor a couple of inches and put a catch pan under it.
The next day clean the firebox out. Ashes in the box attract moisture and will eat your box up. I have had smokers for years and they look great seasoned but no rust.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”