Old Country over/under temp issues

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Re: Old Country over/under temp issues

Postby RookieSmoker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I just acquired this smoker last week & did my 1st smoke Friday. A 6.5lb flat end brisket. I did wind up using more wood that I thought I would but most of it was me working on the learning curve with this smoker. The only real issue I have with this smoker is the fire grate. It's a piece of slotted sheet metal. The fire residue stay on the grate & doesn't drop through. I really couldn't get the best fire with this grate so I'm having an expanded metal grate to replace it. This should provide a better air flow to the firebox & a cleaner & more efficient fire.
During the seasoning process & 1st cook I used an oven thermometer on the grate in addition to the thermometers mounted on the lid. There is a 25 degree difference so now I have my baseline to be able to maintain the temp range I want.
DSCN0988.JPG
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 pm

New fire grate for the over/under. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
DSCN1002.JPG
lbm
Pilgrim

Postby lbm » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 am

I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 pm

lbm wrote:I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

Will advise after tomorrow's smoke.
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm

lbm wrote:I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

The new grate works really good. Much better air flow. Well worth having it built.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”