Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lost_texan
Pilgrim

OK Joe Combo Smoker/Grill

Postby lost_texan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Howdy....

Smoking NOOB here...

Wife bought me a OK Joe Combo smoker/grill for Father's day last year... been playing with it, trying to "find it's groove" for a while now...

Decided to break down and buy at controller (BBQ guru CyberQ)... just installed it today

So doing a test run with the BBQ controller.... I find myself babysitting as much as I did when I was doing it by hand.

Few things to mention:

I sealed up the unit (read lots on forums about these smokers), although the vent door still has gaps... probably need to figure out a way to fix...

I've also made myself a charcoal basket and am using some bricks to separate my charcoal to do the minion method...

I can get this arrangement to more or less maintain itself for roughly an hour... but after that, I am having to babysit it all the time. Sure I am missing something.... apologize in advance for probably sounding like an idiot...

Thanks,

Lost_Texan
Omaha, NE

:deadhorse:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: OK Joe Combo Smoker/Grill

Postby Russ » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Welcome here, we like pics of your cooks and food. Look forward to seeing em.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Welcome, lost-Texan, we're still here :texas: when you get ready to come HOME :texas: :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
lost_texan
Pilgrim

Postby lost_texan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Welcome, lost-Texan, we're still here :texas: when you get ready to come HOME :texas: :tup:

Wish it were that easy!

If it isn't enough to be homesick, I have to talk to co-workers in TX every day I'm at work. I warn them never to mention Whataburger unless they want to bring out my mean and nasty side :)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

:laughing7: :D :lol: :whiteflag: Brutal :salut: - - - - you'll like these Homies here I'm sure :tup: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 am

one thing that sucks about smoking is time and money but mostly time. I would say you created too many variables all at once. I have learned you should change things one at a time.

for example: Try coals first to see where the heat escapes the most. Fix the leaks. Then get your temps steady and move onto either wood or wood chips what ever you prefer as your smoke. But remember keep things constant. If you do good on a certain wood or wood chips dont change them if your going to change another variable. Different woods will burn different. Then I say once its all good hook up your new device and let that take over. Because now your only issue was you having to maintain the temps.

Again this is an example. I have done a lot to my smoker at first i created to many variables but i started over and now I think i have learned my smoker. Hope this helps.
lost_texan
Pilgrim

Postby lost_texan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 pm

rickhdz36 wrote:one thing that sucks about smoking is time and money but mostly time. I would say you created too many variables all at once. I have learned you should change things one at a time.

for example: Try coals first to see where the heat escapes the most. Fix the leaks. Then get your temps steady and move onto either wood or wood chips what ever you prefer as your smoke. But remember keep things constant. If you do good on a certain wood or wood chips dont change them if your going to change another variable. Different woods will burn different. Then I say once its all good hook up your new device and let that take over. Because now your only issue was you having to maintain the temps.

Again this is an example. I have done a lot to my smoker at first i created to many variables but i started over and now I think i have learned my smoker. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Makes sense.

The last time I cooked on it before I installed the controller, I felt like I was getting close to "learning" it, but it still seemed to need constant attention.

I'll have to run another experiment after sealing it up a little more (I thought I'd done a lot already) and see how I do running it without the controller first... just to make sure I'm in the right neighborhood.
Rrito
Pilgrim

Postby Rrito » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks for this information!

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”