Johnson Smokers - T-Smoker, Reverse Flow reviews?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sinfony78
Rustler

Johnson Smokers - T-Smoker, Reverse Flow reviews?

Postby sinfony78 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:31 pm

hey guys,
couldn't really find the info i needed in the other thread. does anyone have any experience with this particular smoker from Johnson? would like to know how steady the temps are in this particular model (how long do temps hold? are they even throughout the smoker - left to right and on all grate levels?)

also, what are your thoughts on the firebox being centered at foot level?

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Re: Johnson Smokers - T-Smoker, Reverse Flow reviews?

Postby Doozy-Q » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:01 am

Yes, is there anyone who can comment on this 20" T-Pit, or any other of Johnson's patio smokers? I was inquiring about one of their compact patio models with Chad, and he suggested this 20" T-Pit since I was not interested in the warmer. All input regarding Johnson's smokers in general would be greatly apprciated.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 am

I have the reverse flow ultimate patio and wouldn't trade it for anything. I went down to Ennis to look before I ordered. I elected not to do the T just because of its unique design, but Chad says it really works well.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Postby Doozy-Q » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:34 pm

outlaw wrote:I have the reverse flow ultimate patio and wouldn't trade it for anything. I went down to Ennis to look before I ordered. I elected not to do the T just because of its unique design, but Chad says it really works well.

Thank you Outlaw for responding and giving me your take on Johnson's Smokers. From the searches in this channel, it appears s couple of forum members have the "T-Pit", but they've not been active in quite some time. :(

Say Outlaw, you don't have any pics of your pit in action, do you?
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:22 am

Doozy-Q wrote:
outlaw wrote:I have the reverse flow ultimate patio and wouldn't trade it for anything. I went down to Ennis to look before I ordered. I elected not to do the T just because of its unique design, but Chad says it really works well.

Thank you Outlaw for responding and giving me your take on Johnson's Smokers. From the searches in this channel, it appears s couple of forum members have the "T-Pit", but they've not been active in quite some time. :(

Say Outlaw, you don't have any pics of your pit in action, do you?

In action. I'm not sure what you want to see?
Attachments
Brisket.jpg
20622047_1561915160495971_3317150976726611191_n.jpg
20160430_135242_zpsvc9gqviu.jpg
19875368_1532279706792850_842353205086992523_n.jpg
19756447_1532279743459513_2567403944274646409_n.jpg
19665233_1532279683459519_3323522123004954273_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
kenrockwall
Pilgrim

Postby kenrockwall » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 pm

I have the same smoker as Outlaw - Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker.

Things that I wish I would have changed or don't like -
- height of the top shelf since it sits so close to the top. I would have lowered it about 1-1.5 inches. (I had issues smoking foiled corn cobs on top.)
- had probe holes put in (ruined a couple of probe wires)
- Probably would not have gotten the vertical setup (really haven't used it)
- hard to get ashes out of pit especially in long cooks
- with the vertical it can be unbalanced easily (tipped just getting it out of the garage due to the concrete lip)
- change how the bevel works for the vertical (can't adjust/open without opening the main pit)

Best part -
- REALLY hold temp great !
- Lot of room for meat

I haven't had it for 1 year so I'm sure I'll work out the quirks and will be experimenting more to find out what I can do with this pit has. Don't get me wrong I love firing up this pit and when I cook, it is usually for 6-15 adults. Unfortunately it isn't under a cover patio so don't use it as much as I would like.
Attachments
IMG_0525.JPG
The unit
IMG_0619.JPG
cut brisket - smoke ring
IMG_0526.JPG
2 - 15lb briskets and 1 - 10lb pork butt
IMG_0617.JPG
1 - 12lb brisket and 2 - St. Louis ribs
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 am

kenrockwall wrote:I have the same smoker as Outlaw - Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker.

Things that I wish I would have changed or don't like -
- height of the top shelf since it sits so close to the top. I would have lowered it about 1-1.5 inches. (I had issues smoking foiled corn cobs on top.)
- had probe holes put in (ruined a couple of probe wires)
- Probably would not have gotten the vertical setup (really haven't used it)
- hard to get ashes out of pit especially in long cooks
- with the vertical it can be unbalanced easily (tipped just getting it out of the garage due to the concrete lip)
- change how the bevel works for the vertical (can't adjust/open without opening the main pit)

Best part -
- REALLY hold temp great !
- Lot of room for meat

I haven't had it for 1 year so I'm sure I'll work out the quirks and will be experimenting more to find out what I can do with this pit has. Don't get me wrong I love firing up this pit and when I cook, it is usually for 6-15 adults. Unfortunately it isn't under a cover patio so don't use it as much as I would like.

I will have to parrot most of your complaints, the probe holes would be great too. I also don't use the vertical chamber as much as I thought I would. Most of it's use is I throw some cheap leg quarters on there for my puppies treats when I am doing something else. I don't ever move mine so no mobility issues for me once I got it in place. That was a bear tho, it's heavy. If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with the 2DPatio instead, but I love this pit and will never get rid of it. Ken, you look like you have it down. Nice looking Q.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Postby Doozy-Q » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:05 am

Thank you @outlaw & @kenrockwell for your excellent feed back! Wowsir, it certainly helps to have people who have working experience with the tools.

From my conversations with Chad, he mentions the use of "tubes" as his RF mechanism, I've seen an older photo of these tube, but they appear to be heave pipe bolted together; is this y'all's experience as well?
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:13 am

The tube he is referring to is a rectangular approx. 3x4 tube that lays on top of a couple removable pieces of angle iron. The tube is also removable for cleaning. It extends into the fire box through a port allowing you to slide it into the firebox more or less to tune the heat in sections of the cooking area. That is where the smoke flows from the firebox through to the farthest end of the pit and then back over the entire cooking area, thus making it a reverse flow because of where the exhaust is back by the firebox.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 am

Gentlemen

I too have the patio version - Outlaw, have you had success smoking on the top self of the main chamber (your pictures sure seem to say so) - my top shelf seems to get too hot and meat becomes overly smokey - you have any secrests you can share.

Otherwise I love this smoker - gets used at least once a week at my house.

Thank youi
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:37 am

TheHojo wrote:Gentlemen

I too have the patio version - Outlaw, have you had success smoking on the top self of the main chamber (your pictures sure seem to say so) - my top shelf seems to get too hot and meat becomes overly smokey - you have any secrests you can share.

Otherwise I love this smoker - gets used at least once a week at my house.

Thank youi

I tend to wrap sooner on the top shelf, and sometimes if doing multiple briskets I will swap them out a few hrs in. Do you run everything wide open as far as dampers and stack caps?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 am

Yes - run everthing wide open - in fact I have been leaving the door cracked open for better airflow.

What temperatures you normally try to run it at - I guess I have had mine for close to 5 years - generally runs pretty steady at 225-250 for 45 minutes to an hour before having to throw another stick on

Ted
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

TheHojo wrote:Yes - run everthing wide open - in fact I have been leaving the door cracked open for better airflow.

What temperatures you normally try to run it at - I guess I have had mine for close to 5 years - generally runs pretty steady at 225-250 for 45 minutes to an hour before having to throw another stick on

Ted

Mine is the same. Sweet spot around 235-240 which works for me for just about everything. My only regret is I don't use the verticle as much as I thought I would. Should have spent the money on more main sq ft instead.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
Cudzee
Pilgrim

Postby Cudzee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Doozy-Q wrote:Yes, is there anyone who can comment on this 20" T-Pit, or any other of Johnson's patio smokers? I was inquiring about one of their compact patio models with Chad, and he suggested this 20" T-Pit since I was not interested in the warmer. All input regarding Johnson's smokers in general would be greatly apprciated.

I picked my 20” T-Pit up in February. I have had a lot of success learning to smoke on the T. While I am still learning my smoker; Previously a grilled. This T design seams to make it easy. The design is very efficient on wood and the cooking surface stays even.
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Postby Doozy-Q » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:21 am

Cudzee wrote:
Doozy-Q wrote:Yes, is there anyone who can comment on this 20" T-Pit, or any other of Johnson's patio smokers? I was inquiring about one of their compact patio models with Chad, and he suggested this 20" T-Pit since I was not interested in the warmer. All input regarding Johnson's smokers in general would be greatly apprciated.

I picked my 20” T-Pit up in February. I have had a lot of success learning to smoke on the T. While I am still learning my smoker; Previously a grilled. This T design seams to make it easy. The design is very efficient on wood and the cooking surface stays even.

Thanks Cudzee for your reply. Say, do you have any photos of you using your T-Pit?

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”