WSM Maintenance

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

WSM Maintenance

Postby jwh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 am

I was gifted a WSM 22.5" back in May, and -well- now I'm addicted to smoking. I have a few briskets under my belt, a pork butt, and some other minor things as I've had time. But my question is, how well does the thing need to be maintained post cook? The charcoal grate is rusty from when I first got it. Is it necessary that be replaced? How well do the cook grates need to be cleaned before each new cook? Do the inside walls need to be completely de-caked with any kind of regularity, or does that count as seasoning (i.e. Is it safe)? Does the base need to be completely clear of sludge? I'm not sure how it even got on there with a water pan and 3 grates between it and the meat. I did a little cleaning this morning since I'm returning it home, but am including some pictures in hopes that perhaps y'all can point me in the right direction.

IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
Josh
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Re: WSM Maintenance

Postby jwh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am

Not all at once now, Fellers. 8)
Josh
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Charcoal grate will be fine. I'd just hit the bottom the best you can to get the sludge out but no need to just out the tooth brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Josh, all I can say is if you consider that dirty then I'm in trouble :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Well, I didn't know if it was considered dirty or not, which is why I had to ask. :)
Josh
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks for the pointers.

I got the sludge removed from the base with a crow bar and hammer. :P
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Wiffy told me if she ever saw me again with that crow bar and sledge, she would put me under a "peace bond" :whiteflag: :salut: :rose:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

When I said "hit" o didn't mean crowbar and sledge :)

It's fine…just cook! I just clean to avoid grease fires. If it seems to be getting to that point clean it out. Oh and occasionally scrape the creosote build up off the dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88rxna
Rustler

Postby 88rxna » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I have a 18.5 WSM and it looks exactly like yours....I say smoke on! Only thing I clean well is.the water pan since it collects so much grease (I line mine with foil to help) because if it sits with the grease too long you'll get mold. The rest is seasoning! A little rust, flakes on the inside won't hurt a thing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Postby Doozy-Q » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 pm

jwh wrote:I was gifted a WSM 22.5" back in May, and -well- now I'm addicted to smoking. I have a few briskets under my belt, a pork butt, and some other minor things as I've had time. But my question is, how well does the thing need to be maintained post cook? The charcoal grate is rusty from when I first got it. Is it necessary that be replaced? How well do the cook grates need to be cleaned before each new cook? Do the inside walls need to be completely de-caked with any kind of regularity, or does that count as seasoning (i.e. Is it safe)? Does the base need to be completely clear of sludge? I'm not sure how it even got on there with a water pan and 3 grates between it and the meat. I did a little cleaning this morning since I'm returning it home, but am including some pictures in hopes that perhaps y'all can point me in the right direction.

You'll be fine after acquiring a 1"x3" stainless steel brush for the grates, a 3" plastic scraper, and a straw whisk broom for the inside of the cooker. Oh yeah, and a small dose of elbow grease. :laughing7:
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 am

I scrape the walls and dome down to remove that build up. I don't it often, usually after it rained and I forget to open up the WSM to dry it out. Then I am removing fuzzy stuff and build up.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”