Wear and tear on firebox

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Wear and tear on firebox

Postby tri3forme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:40 am

I've have an Old Country Pecos offset smoker for about 4(?) years now and the outside of my firebox is literally peeling off in sheets. For $400, I can't really complain about the overall quality of the smoker as I can probably get 2 more years of use out of this thing before I have to buy a replacement. I'm already thinking about my next purchase and want to buy a smoker that'll last me almost a lifetime. Is there such a thing?And does anyone know why my current smoker's firebox is peeling off in sheets on the outside ? Does this mean my smoker is made of pressed steel?
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Wear and tear on firebox

Postby Chasdev » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am

Pictures would help but I suspect you did not keep the exterior oiled down and covered up between cooks..
Mine, just like yours but newer, started to rust up the exterior at about a in and then I made it a habit to spray down the whole cooker with pam, which halted the rust.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am

I have not coated the outside with oil other than during the initial seasoning when I first got it but I'm pretty diligent with the clearing of the ashes and keeping it covered when not in use.
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:57 am

Burning out of a firebox happens all the time. Fire/heat and the natural tendency of steel to rust is a combination that you might slow down, but won't stop. I have a 18"x6' smoker with offset firebox that I had made for me in 1988. If I remember correctly I'm on my 3rd firebox. Cut off the old one, weld on a new one. When this one goes out, I'll do the same.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 am

tri3forme wrote:I have not coated the outside with oil other than during the initial seasoning when I first got it but I'm pretty diligent with the clearing of the ashes and keeping it covered when not in use.

Depending on the type of cover that could be a contributing cause. Cloth will breath but rainproof covers won't and actually trap moisture - especially with morning temps around the dew point.

Ditch the cover, use some peanut oil on the exterior of the box while warm and it will season like a cast iron skillet.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 pm

rexster314 wrote:Burning out of a firebox happens all the time. Fire/heat and the natural tendency of steel to rust is a combination that you might slow down, but won't stop. I have a 18"x6' smoker with offset firebox that I had made for me in 1988. If I remember correctly I'm on my 3rd firebox. Cut off the old one, weld on a new one. When this one goes out, I'll do the same.

I wish I knew how to weld!
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:12 pm

[/quote]
Ditch the cover, use some peanut oil on the exterior of the box while warm and it will season like a cast iron skillet.[/quote]

I may have to go to Sam's and buy a case of PAM.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 pm

One large can goes a long way...but be prepaired for the firebox to smoke while it burns off the excess when you start the next fire..

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”