Final ECB Modifications

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Final ECB Modifications

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:40 pm

A while back I made several modifications to my ECB, including an adjustable bottom vent. However, I've been living with the loose fitting/leaking lid by using a temporary aluminum foil gasket every time I used it. So I finally bought some fireblack gasket and put it on the lid. Then I realized that I probably have it sealed fairly well and need a top vent now. Luckily, I had a small portable charcoal grill hanging around that never worked well (a cheap knock-off of a Smokey Joe) and it had an adjustable vent on the lid. So, after drilling some holes in the ECB lid, I moved the adjustment hardware over to it, and here's the result:

I also used some leftover gasket on the door by the charcoal pan.

Now I'm itching to smoke some ribs on the ECB (and I have a rack in the freezer :D ).
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Final ECB Modifications

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Looks Guuuud - - - I need to redo my lid gasket also. I used and woven rope type gasket and it needs either adjusting or replacing. One of those at the bottom of my list that needs moving to the top. Love my ECB :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm

That vent looks like it was born there. :tup:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 pm

yes it do :salut: - I put one in my large pan that I only use on the very bottom but it has more of a Redneck Bubba Look to it - :rambo: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks. I just stole it off of the non-functional grill. If I had to make one from scratch it would not be very pretty. I'm sure glad I recently bought a new set of drill bits, though. :D

So now I've decided to keep this old ECB going as long as I can. I hope the gasket stays on for a while.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 pm

I can certainly relate - - - I probably bought my first one 30 or more years ago and I've gone thru several but have NEVER been without one - - - now that they aren't available, I am taking better care of mine and am prepared to repair or fabricate whenever necessary :salut:
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 am

That's my feeling too. I'll wait till it rusts away before replacing it (probsbly with a WSM).
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 am

One Mod I'm fixin to do pretty quick is to build and put 3 grill rack rests about 3" lower than the very top one. Reason for that is I've been using wire hooks that just hang on the top ones so that I can have room for the beer can chicks and gobblers. Yesterday I forgot to put them in place and my lid wouldn't fit because of the penner sticking up from the bird and when I went to put the hooks on and lower the grate, the already fired up coals caused me to drop a hook in the hot coals and the smoke made it impossible to see what I was doing. Finally "got'er done" but this new mod will take care of dropped elongated 'S' hooks. Hope it doesn't take as long to do this as it did to explain it. :whiteflag: :deadhorse: :banghead:

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”