Fire Mgt. Ash question

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Re: Fire Mgt. Ash question

Postby Doozy-Q » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Chasdev wrote:I think any aspect of the fuel that affects burn rate is worth consideration.
Heck, I may switch to his brand of beer just to see what happens!

Aaron Franklin is drinking Real Ale's Hans Pils. I've been know to drive over the border from Louisiana top stock up on this fantastic brew. :lol:
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 am

I was having this issue also. My ash shovel did not fit under the grate to scoop the ash out, ended up using the handle side to scoop out some ash.

What i did was get 4 Stainless steel bolts, 8 nuts and 8 washers and placed one on each corner of the grate. I was able to raise the fire grate up at least 2" and my shovel fit a lot easier and it had better air flow. Its also adjustable so you can raise it as much as the bolt allows but also lower it. I will try to get a pic if you can picture what I am talking about.

As far as removing ash, I usually go down the middle to open up to allow better air and just pull out the ash that is towards the front of the fire box. I have a small stainless steel trash can I fill with some water and pull the ash into it. The can usually sits in front of the fire box in case any embers decide to fall out while im not watching.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am

Best way to deal with embers/coals jumping out of the firebox is one of those large galvanized automotive drip pans sold at O-riley's and Autozone.
Place it so it extends under the firebox door..
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am

rickhdz36 wrote:I was having this issue also. My ash shovel did not fit under the grate to scoop the ash out, ended up using the handle side to scoop out some ash.

What i did was get 4 Stainless steel bolts, 8 nuts and 8 washers and placed one on each corner of the grate. I was able to raise the fire grate up at least 2" and my shovel fit a lot easier and it had better air flow. Its also adjustable so you can raise it as much as the bolt allows but also lower it. I will try to get a pic if you can picture what I am talking about.

As far as removing ash, I usually go down the middle to open up to allow better air and just pull out the ash that is towards the front of the fire box. I have a small stainless steel trash can I fill with some water and pull the ash into it. The can usually sits in front of the fire box in case any embers decide to fall out while im not watching.

Thanks for the idea, I'm gonna give that a try.
kenrockwall
Pilgrim

Postby kenrockwall » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I use a fireplace shovel, poker and welding gloves to remove ash on those long cooks. I have a grate that I can move from the front to back as it sits on the sides of curved firebox. With gloves on, I use the poker to move the grate forward and lift it as high as I need to use the shovel to remove ash into a metal bucket. Only took 1 time to not use the gloves to go into the garage and get them. :whiteflag:
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm

My grate has loads of room underneath.

B10FC1A6-EBBA-4587-B4E7-7B1DC6F91AAF.jpeg
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Well crap! How did that happen?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Its ok, if they click on it it opens up in the right direction.
m grills USER_AVATAR
M Grills
Pilgrim

Postby M Grills » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 am

Im curious why you have so much ash after only 4 to 5 hours? Are you starting your fire with charcoal, more importantly.. is it something like Kingsford briquettes? Those will ash up like crazy. Switch to natural lump if you are using charcoal or start your wood fire with no charcoal at all.
MADE IN :texas:

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”