Looking for a new smoker, talk to me

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

McQuinn
Pilgrim

Looking for a new smoker, talk to me

Postby McQuinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 am

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/d ... 81520.html

Hey y'all, I browse a lot but don't post much. Just looking for opinions on the above smoker, I've been eyeing it but I've never owned a reverse flow and don't know much about them at all. My budget is roughly $2000 so it's right in that range. Or if you have other suggestions please post them, thanks!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Looking for a new smoker, talk to me

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:00 am

Howdy, McQuinn - - - so you're opting NOT to get the warming cab or gas burner ? am I correct ?
I am not an offset or reverse flow user but it sure looks well built as far as I can tell. Good Luck with your choice and why not post up some of your cooks and recipes while you're browsing :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 am

Interesting... right up the road from me. Wonder how long they've been in business????

Specs seem to indicate a lot of value for the dollar, however I suggest on on-site visit to any prospective pit manufacturer prior to ordering. You'll get a better feel for level of customer service that way. Also, the smoker shown is more along the line of $2800.00 when you get done with tax and trailer registration. My initial thought is the stacks are too small for a 30" cooking chamber but that's just based on the picture.

I've owned one reverse flow pit... Don't have any real complaints about the concept but my newest (hopefully last) pit is standard flow from Lone Star Grillz - I can vouch for the way their pits perform.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
McQuinn
Pilgrim

Postby McQuinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Howdy, McQuinn - - - so you're opting NOT to get the warming cab or gas burner ? am I correct ?
I am not an offset or reverse flow user but it sure looks well built as far as I can tell. Good Luck with your choice and why not post up some of your cooks and recipes while you're browsing :tup: :salut:

Correct, not interested in the warming cabinet or gas burner

txsmkmstr wrote:Also, the smoker shown is more along the line of $2800.00 when you get done with tax and trailer registration. My initial thought is the stacks are too small for a 30" cooking chamber but that's just based on the picture.

I've owned one reverse flow pit... Don't have any real complaints about the concept but my newest (hopefully last) pit is standard flow from Lone Star Grillz - I can vouch for the way their pits perform.

Good to know, I wasn't thinking about trailer registration.

And I love what I'm seeing from Lone Star Grillz, the one I want is about $1000 out of my price range but the quality seems top notch
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Pretty good looking shop made cooker, and probably a pretty good value for the money. You could probably stop up in quality for something that had cleaner plasma cuts and some things like that, but a lot of that would be aesthetics. Since it's a single axle, I would check them on the weight rating; just me because I am old school and tend to up engineer everything, but I would get them to go up in class on the axle size compared to whatever the weight of the cooker is. You'll never be sorry you got more axle then you need, you will always be sorry if you didn't. I would also check on the gauge of tubingbeing used for the tongue and yoke, looks a bit light just from observing a photo.

The only complaints I will ever have about my little cooker Rosebud is along the lines of the above, because I just don't feel comfortable towing it down the road and would be a complete mess if it ever broke loose and tumbled through somebody's house.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 am

Far from an expert but those exhaust stacks look very small for that size cooker.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:12 am

My mother lived in Tyler and I went by that place and looked. I was not impressed. For that money you might consider looking into Johnson Smokers in Ennis. That's what I ultimately bought.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

You should look here before you pull the trigger.
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/offer/smokers-cookers
As for the craigs list cooker. I am not seeing a lot there for 2K.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

^^^^^^^ this. Some of these places get your down payment and fold up. I'd save a little longer and get a Shirley, or LSG, or Jambo.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
McQuinn
Pilgrim

Postby McQuinn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Good advice all around, thanks for the replies. The more I think a out it the more I believe I'll look more into lone star grillz even if it means waiting longer to save up
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I have no complaints with my Matt's smoker.
Missfuego
Pilgrim

Postby Missfuego » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:40 pm

My account was new because I made it just to put some good words out there for my pit. I've had it for a few months now and still absolutely love it. Holds a solid temp and really easy to control.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”