Wood question

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Peyton
Pilgrim

Wood question

Postby Peyton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 pm

I have a homeade reverse flow smoker I just purchased & cooked my first brisket, ribs, & chicken with. They came out great. Only problem is I used a ton of wood & 2 large bags of charcoals. The pit is big but all the seals are tight. It was well made & 1/4" thick everywhere except lid which was made a little thinner so it wouldn't be so heavy to lift. I was really interested in the Lang 36 but this pit came up for sale for half the price of the Lang & it's a little bigger too. Does the design of the pit make that much difference on wood/charcoal usage? I kept the temp at 250 or below nearly the entire cooking time. Seemed like I had to put 3-4 large logs every hr & sprinkled in charcoal a lot to try & not "oversmoke" everything. I really thought everything was gonna taste oversmoked because of how much wood I was using to keep the temp where I needed it. Any ideas?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Wood question

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Welcome Peyton; I have an old/large stick burner and most of my cooks are like that. I've gotten used to it over the years. Mine has the Firebox/main chamber/ and then a 52" tall vertical on the end that has 2 grates and a sausage rod. When I crank the big sucker up I'll cook several different types of meats I'll accumulate during the month on special.

we'll plan the cook around a Family gathering and then vacuum seal several pounds for later meals. I figure if I'm going to burn that much wood I might as well fill'er up.

With regard to too much smoke you'll get varying opinions, all correct, on preferences many of us have. The majority here wrap in foil at various points and some, like myself, wrap in pink Butcher paper; to each his own.

I don't have any knowledge about the ceramic cookers, Pellets, or electric hybrids but those are probably much more efficient than yours or mine.

One thing I can tell you is you will become more familiar and comfortable with your smoker in time. It took me years to figure mine out and so will you.

Glad you're here
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Wood question

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 am

Fire management is the key to every cookers performance. Once you learn what it takes to run at a desired temp you will probably see a difference. If you have a good coal base there should be no reason to add charcoal just wood. What are the dimensions of the cooker and firebox as well as the exhaust?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”