Exhaust Diameter

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Motoclay
Pilgrim

Exhaust Diameter

Postby Motoclay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

So I have a Texas Original smoker from Bucees....super badass, thick steel, heavy duty, has all the fire plates and all that.....problem is...I struggle keeping the fire rolling well....fire box door can be wide open, exhaust wide open, good bed of coals and a log or two burning and it just doesn’t seem to do all that well. Now, I can crack the main door open just a hair and the temps rip out of control and the fire starts raging....so here is my thought....it has a 2 3/8” piece of pipe for exhaust...I AE a lot of pits with 4”-6” pipe. I’m wondering if I increase the diameter of the exhaust if it would help it breath better and the of course if it’s too much I’d have a damper to slow it down....makes sense to me, but am I wrong as far as the pipe just isn’t big enough?

Opinions....??
Clay Grantham
Marble Falls, TX
Texas Original offset stick burner....real BBQ :P
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Exhaust Diameter

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm

There are some smart pit guys here; someone will answer, not me
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Maybe it needs to be longer. Plug your dimensions into the Feldon calculator to see what it recommends: http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 pm

...I use 6" pipe with my vertical...and 2 reducers depending on the time of year...a 5 inch and 4 inch....in the summer 6 inch dead of winter 4 inch...in winter the 4 draws same as 6 in summer..easier fire mgmt...the exhaust pipe is insulated .

Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Kevin can probably give you the best advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Motoclay
Pilgrim

Postby Motoclay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Super big help
Slam keys!!! Thanks!
Clay Grantham
Marble Falls, TX
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 am

Motoclay wrote:So I have a Texas Original smoker from Bucees....super badass, thick steel, heavy duty, has all the fire plates and all that.....problem is...I struggle keeping the fire rolling well....fire box door can be wide open, exhaust wide open, good bed of coals and a log or two burning and it just doesn’t seem to do all that well. Now, I can crack the main door open just a hair and the temps rip out of control and the fire starts raging....so here is my thought....it has a 2 3/8” piece of pipe for exhaust...I AE a lot of pits with 4”-6” pipe. I’m wondering if I increase the diameter of the exhaust if it would help it breath better and the of course if it’s too much I’d have a damper to slow it down....makes sense to me, but am I wrong as far as the pipe just isn’t big enough?

Opinions....??

You are on the correct path by increasing your exhaust diameter. Increasing the length of an already too small diameter will only increase the problem. What is the dimensions of the cooking chamber and firebox?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Motoclay
Pilgrim

Postby Motoclay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 am

20x40 cook chamber and 20x20 firebox

It’s basically the Yoder Whichita.....

All 1/4” thick, super heavy duty....I rebuilt the fire grate in the fire box using 3/8 rebar to get it up off the bottom so the air can draft through from the bottom....

The reason I lean towards making it bigger, when I crack the big lid and prop it open with a small stick, fire rips and temps sore....
Clay Grantham
Marble Falls, TX
freddie987
Pilgrim

Postby freddie987 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:01 am

Red Farr wrote:...I use 6" pipe with my vertical...and 2 reducers depending on the time of year...a 5 inch and 4 inch....in the summer 6 inch dead of winter 4 inch...in winter the 4 draws same as 6 in summer..easier fire mgmt...the exhaust pipe is insulated .

Red

Do you have photos of your insulated exhaust? How is it insulated?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 pm

I would use a 4" ID exhaust 24" tall.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 am

I've noticed that Franklin's pits don't use a fire grate at all..the fire rests on the bed of coals.
When I experimented with grate vs coal bed my fires were more controllable without the grate.
Harder to get up to temp but I can run with the door wide open and control heat with the amount of new fuel once the coal/ash bed is built up.
Bitsbeardo
Pilgrim

Postby Bitsbeardo » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm

I have a lyfe tyme 20x40 w/20x20 firebox. Exhaust is 4.5”x 23”, pulls pretty well. Installed a piece of 18g sheet metal between firebox and cooking chamber to slow the fire/draw. Opening is football shaped and approx 5” at widest point. Removed grate at bottom of firebox and maintain solid coal bed for small 6-8” oak splits. Preheat splits on top of firebox or to side of fire in firebox. I run with both the exhaust and firebox door wide open. Easier to maintain/steady temp with just uniform splits and coal bed. Less is more.
Lyfe Tyme 20x40
22” Weber kettle (green)
PHILNFLORENCE
Pilgrim

Postby PHILNFLORENCE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 am

Hello Clay, Not sure if we have spoken before about these smokers or not. I also have a 20x36 Texas Original offset for amost 2 yrs now. I know all about the small exhaust pipe. All of my meat was tasting too smokey IMO, and I couldn't maintain 250-270 F without a rip roaring fire. I saw others with similar size pits that could. After much research and YT viewing, I decided I would replace the small exhaust pipe on my pit. My uncle retired a professional welder with his on fab shop etc etc and still had all the equipment so he found a piece of 6 in stainless steel pipe and elbow for me. I loaded it up on my trailer took it to him, and he cut the small pipe off and welded on the new pipe. My pit immediately began cooking at those temps mentioned above. Only 1 or 2 very small splits now every 40-45 minutes to maintain 250-270. I"m talking small (size in the bags from academy sports). Now my pit cooks and maintains just fine. That is your problem IMO. They need to increase the pipe size on these (other than this) well made pits. shipping weight ?? not sure why. I'm very confident in mine now. Was ready to get rid of it before this. Watch this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUaNMOjLdu0&t=4s

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”