KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 pm

As many of you know, I have a custom stick burner with a 52" vertical on the end; it's very similar to the Lyfe Tyme cookers made in Uvalde. I envy the pellet Cookers and the Egg Men but just can't bring my Old Fashioned stubborn ash to get one. I came across this smoker and it seems like the perfect compromise for me. All of the reviews are good.

My question to my TBBQF Brothers is have you, or any of your Friends, ever cooked with one of these? They are a little pricey but I'm very intrigued and would Pony up with some positive reviews here. I figure I can get a pretty good down payment by selling my Stick Burner.

Thanks in advance for your help.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 am

There is no substitute for and offset stick burner, IMHO, and I certainly wouldn't get rid of one for this thing.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 am

GRailsback wrote:There is no substitute for and offset stick burner, IMHO, and I certainly wouldn't get rid of one for this thing.

Is that your opinion or do you have Personal knowledge about these cookers? And, to your point; it IS a stick burner, just smaller sticks. Now, I suppose we could discuss the offset Vs. the cabinet. My attraction to this was that it does burn wood but has the fans to help control temps and the clean burn. I've spent about 4-5 hours reading reviews and about the only thing negative is:
1. having to feed it every 30-40 minutes
2. door opens down instead of to the side

:dont:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 am

Hey Rambo this is just my opinion from watching some of that video and another one with a guy cooking some beef ribs. It seems kinda gimmicky to me (again, never used one). The metal sounded thin and I’d wonder how it cooks outside of absolute perfect weather conditions.

I agree there is no substitute for a stick burner and can’t bring myself to use pellets. It works for a lot of people, I just like playing with Fire. My insulated cabinet kinda gives the best of both worlds. It gets close to stick burner quality with really long burn times using lump and chunks. It fits where I am in my life with family and time constraints.

I noticed on Amazon this unit was $1700 (if I was looking at the right one). Before I spent that I’d look into saving up and looking at something like Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet. I know it’s about $1000 more but I think in the long run it would prove to be a much better product.

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Mini-Insu ... moker.html

Either way, let us know what you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 am

If you should decide on a Lone Star then let me know and I'll meet you and buy you Lunch at the Fish Pond :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:57 am

OldUsedParts wrote:If you should decide on a Lone Star then let me know and I'll meet you and buy you Lunch at the Fish Pond :tup:

Heck I might buy another smoker just to get that perk…

Crap, how do I delete this before my wife sees it :) :) :)

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 am

bsooner75 wrote:Hey Rambo this is just my opinion from watching some of that video and another one with a guy cooking some beef ribs. It seems kinda gimmicky to me (again, never used one). The metal sounded thin and I’d wonder how it cooks outside of absolute perfect weather conditions.

I agree there is no substitute for a stick burner and can’t bring myself to use pellets. It works for a lot of people, I just like playing with Fire. My insulated cabinet kinda gives the best of both worlds. It gets close to stick burner quality with really long burn times using lump and chunks. It fits where I am in my life with family and time constraints.

I noticed on Amazon this unit was $1700 (if I was looking at the right one). Before I spent that I’d look into saving up and looking at something like Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet. I know it’s about $1000 more but I think in the long run it would prove to be a much better product.

What is your " insulated cabinet that gives you the best of both worlds" ? Why is it better than what I'm reading on this smoker?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am

Rambo wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]Hey Rambo this is just my opinion from watching some of that video and another one with a guy cooking some beef ribs. It seems kinda gimmicky to me (again, never used one). The metal sounded thin and I’d wonder how it cooks outside of absolute perfect weather conditions.

What is your " insulated cabinet that gives you the best of both worlds" ? Why is it better than what I'm reading on this smoker?[/quote]

Close to a wood burner experience and flavor, longer burn time, I don’t have to use fans (although some do). I’ve had a 16 hour burn time poking the coals and adding chunks every couple of hours as opposed to every 30 minutes in my old stick burner. Being insulated weather has little to no effect on it (cold, rain, heat).

Last edited by bsooner75 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:51 am

Wow, it's almost like I have posted a Trump idea on a Liberal website :dont:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

I'm out
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:55 am

Rambo wrote:Wow, it's almost like I have posted a Trump idea on a Liberal website :dont:

My apologies I thought you wanted opinions and I offered mine. After re-reading your post I see you requested members to “pony up some positive reviews”. I guess that means opinions to support yours.

I will bow out of your thread now. Best of luck on your search for information.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
Rambo wrote:Wow, it's almost like I have posted a Trump idea on a Liberal website :dont:

My apologies I thought you wanted opinions and I offered mine. After re-reading your post I see you requested members to “pony up some positive reviews”. I guess that means opinions to support yours.

I will bow out of your thread now. Best of luck on your search for information.

No Sir, you need to read it again. I said I'd Pony up the money if I received some educated reviews by Folks that had personal experience with this particular smoker. What I'm getting are Redneck responses by folks that have not taken the time to watch/read all of the reviews I have. I was hopeful that someone on this website had Personal experience with this machine

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Rambo wrote:
GRailsback wrote:There is no substitute for and offset stick burner, IMHO, and I certainly wouldn't get rid of one for this thing.

Is that your opinion or do you have Personal knowledge about these cookers? And, to your point; it IS a stick burner, just smaller sticks. Now, I suppose we could discuss the offset Vs. the cabinet. My attraction to this was that it does burn wood but has the fans to help control temps and the clean burn. I've spent about 4-5 hours reading reviews and about the only thing negative is:
1. having to feed it every 30-40 minutes
2. door opens down instead of to the side

:dont:

Yes, as I stated, that is my opinion. And no, I have no personal knowledge of this cooker. But from not only watching the video, and your mention of the small fire or fuel supply, the possibility of having to replace fans, there mention of maybe being a consistant and or even cooking heat issue with a full load of meat, having to cook BBQ on your knees with the way the door opens and as close as the meat chamber is to the ground, I see nothing wrong with it.

Greg R.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:00 pm

:whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :dont: :scratch: :roll: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”