Heat Management for Lyfe Tyme Offset Pit

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

maxf15c
Pilgrim

Heat Management for Lyfe Tyme Offset Pit

Postby maxf15c » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Just bought a used Lyfe Tyme 20x40 pit, It’s an older model without the butterfly baffle between the firebox and the cooking chamber.

Anybody have a link to some 5 or 6 inch wide tuning plates for this thing? I checked with the manufacturer and they don’t stock any. (Or do I just need to go to the local metal fabrication shop and have them make some?)

I’ve done a bunch of reading on these things, maybe somebody has a design out there without me having to reinvent the wheel.

First post… So thanks in advance!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Heat Management for Lyfe Tyme Offset Pit

Postby TX1911 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Not quite a tuning plate, but I used these with such success on a prior pit that I had one manufactured for my current offset.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/access ... tion-plate
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
Hoop
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Heat Management for Lyfe Tyme Offset Pit

Postby Hoop » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm

TX1911 wrote:Not quite a tuning plate, but I used these with such success on a prior pit that I had one manufactured for my current offset.

What he said, Horizon brand convection plate. I have an Old Country Pecos and was having huge temp differences, even with tuning plates. It was a game changer for me, it drops right in n out for easy cleaning, very easy to adjust, and now run a 0-10 degree difference tops on average with Maverick thermos at grill level. I included a pic of it below but might be difficult to see under the grill grateImageImage

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
maxf15c
Pilgrim

Postby maxf15c » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Perfect, thanks fellas. I’m wondering how to figure dimensions. I.e. how far below the cooking surface, how big are each set of holes, and the spacing between, etc. Or just get close? (which is certain to be better than no plate)

Newbie to this thing, which is why I bought used to get started. Seems to be a fairly solid unit. Just wanna make sure I have even heat.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am

Are you looking to fabricate one or just purchase one?
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks Counselor; I believe I need one of those
maxf15c
Pilgrim

Postby maxf15c » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:46 am

TX1911 wrote:Are you looking to fabricate one or just purchase one?

Either... I wouldn’t fabricate it myself though. I’d have a metal fab shop make it. Know folks who can do it?
maxf15c
Pilgrim

Postby maxf15c » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 am

TX1911 wrote:Not quite a tuning plate, but I used these with such success on a prior pit that I had one manufactured for my current offset.

That’s perfect... if it’ll fit. Sounds like there’s a cardboard template method of checking fit; time for some arts and crafts.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm

maxf15c wrote:

That’s perfect... if it’ll fit. Sounds like there’s a cardboard template method of checking fit; time for some arts and crafts.
Max, when I ordered mine from Horizon I was unsure which size as well. I called them and spoke with customer service there, let them know what brand/model I had and they immediately knew which size I needed. It might not be the case with yours but is at least worth a shot. It has been fantastic, my smoker had bad hotspots before and now runs 0-5 degree difference across the grate, great product

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”