New 500 gal build

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

banditbbq
Pilgrim

New 500 gal build

Postby banditbbq » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 pm

I am in the planning stages of converting a 500 gal propane tank to an offset smoker on a trailer. I will be cutting 1/2 of one end off the tank to mount my firebox to the end of the tank. My rough estimate for the firebox size is 36x36x36. I plan on insulating the box and the door. I'm thinking 1/4 inch steel inside walls and 3/16 on the outside walls with a minimum of 1" ceramic insulation between. Any advice would be welcomed. How large an opening do I need for the throat? I plan on placing the bottom of the throat about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the cook chamber to keep grease out of the firebox. My plan is for a 1/2 moon opening, but being in the planning stages, I am open to suggestions. This is my first build and could use all the advice I can get.
GRailsback
Bandolero

Re: New 500 gal build

Postby GRailsback » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

You may want to send KAM a PM on here. He will get you pointed in the right direction.
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Re: New 500 gal build

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm

banditbbq wrote:I am in the planning stages of converting a 500 gal propane tank to an offset smoker on a trailer. I will be cutting 1/2 of one end off the tank to mount my firebox to the end of the tank. My rough estimate for the firebox size is 36x36x36. I plan on insulating the box and the door. I'm thinking 1/4 inch steel inside walls and 3/16 on the outside walls with a minimum of 1" ceramic insulation between. Any advice would be welcomed. How large an opening do I need for the throat? I plan on placing the bottom of the throat about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the cook chamber to keep grease out of the firebox. My plan is for a 1/2 moon opening, but being in the planning stages, I am open to suggestions. This is my first build and could use all the advice I can get.

Here is a filled out link to the calculator I would use.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
I would go 2" minimum insulation.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”