Weber smokey mountain

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Weber smokey mountain

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 am

Ok. Lost my patience in removing the red paint inside my uds build so postponed the build until summer.

Bought today a WSM. The medium sized, 18.5 inch.

A couple of questions. Does the WSM need a burn in or can I just start smoking right a way? I've read that because it's enameled inside it's not necessary. What do you guys think?

Would you recommend lump wood or briquettes and how much do you think I need for 6-7 hours burn time?
Anyone with experience on this?

Appreciate all advices I can get

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Weber smokey mountain

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am

I have both the 18.5" and the 22.5" WSM and love cooking on them.
While a pre-burn is not necessary it does help reduce the shine on the inside which does cause them to burn a bit hotter because of the reflective heat. I would suggest for the first cook a pork butt as they are very forgiving with temps. I always load my ring full with about 4 chunks of wood scattered through out the ring in the charcoal. Use which ever you prefer for fuel I prefer charcoal over lump.
To start layer the bottom of the grate with fuel then add your chunks then cover them with more fuel.
In the center remove some charcoal or lump to create a birds nest and place one chunk of wood there.
Then light about a half chimney of charcoal and once white hot pour them in the bird nest. Put the WSM together with all intakes open as well as the exhaust.
When the cooker reaches 250°/275° close the intakes to one half. and adjust from there.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Good Score there, Joe :salut: :cheers: - - - - I was considering a WSM 22" when my ECB goes belly up. They are set up just like my ECB and on a long cook I always just fill my charcoal pan with briquettes and then add as needed if necessary. Sometimes I'll chunk in some pre-soaked Wood Chips for extra flavor about 30 min into the cook.

As far as a burn in goes, I think I would light a good fire in it and call it "ready" - - - you can use what ever's the cheapest for that fire burn in. On my ECB I wiped the inside with oil after the burn in and have never had a problem.

Even after I get my Old Smokey, I may get me a WSM 22" but with the Pit Boss Pellet Pooper standing by I doubt it. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:58 pm

Joe, what we do on the OldSmokeys is just to wash them out with soapy water and rinse
they are aluminized sheet metal and have a film of manufacturing protective oil on them
but once you wash it off the inside you're good to go
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate your help. Will fire it up on Sunday.

Will probably follow K.a.m's suggestion about what to cook, if I get hold of pork butt.

BigBrizket
Pilgrim

Postby BigBrizket » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 am

I have been cooking on a WSM for a little over a year now, and its the best thing I've found for smaller cooks. I was reading on another site and people were saying they don't put water in their water pan when they cook on theirs. Has anyone tried this or heard about this before?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:14 pm

BigBrizket wrote:I have been cooking on a WSM for a little over a year now, and its the best thing I've found for smaller cooks. I was reading on another site and people were saying they don't put water in their water pan when they cook on theirs. Has anyone tried this or heard about this before?
I've read that to. I'm planning to smoke a whole chicken on Sunday. Going to try this procedure. Seems that it's without water.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 pm

We never use water in our pan just foil it to keep it clean. The cooker is a lot more stable especially on long cooks. As the water evaporates you are constantly having to adjust intakes to keep the desired temp. With no water once the cooker is stable your'e pretty much set for the day unless wind is a factor.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Joernolav wrote: I'm planning to smoke a whole chicken on Sunday. Going to try this procedure. Seems that it's without water.

Some time later if you want a great moist Bird, sit that clucker on a half full can of beer with seasonings added and become addicted like I am. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Yes sir, I will.

guy USER_AVATAR
Guy
Pilgrim

Postby Guy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 am

I used one for many years are never messed with the water pan, too much of a hassle. You really just need it for indirect heat.
619BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby 619BBQ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 pm

I have had one for 6 years and love it. I call it my set it and forget it smoker! I have never used water in the pan. I bought a clay pot holder which is a little smaller then the water pan and sit it in there wrapped in foil as a heat sink. I have used lump and charcoal and like both. Use chunks of wood, don't soak them. On a new wsm your first few cooks will run higher temps. Once you get a good layer of seasoning in it you will have more consistent temps. I got mine for free and would not sell it. I have 7 bbqs ( I know I have a problem but each has its place) but if I wanted to I could do all types of cooking on the wsm from baking pies to direct grilling tri tip. Play with it, learn it, post pics and enjoy!
a075923
Pilgrim

Postby a075923 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Not sure I still have my water pan for the 22.5. I also use the hanging rack a fair amount.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Been very happy with my WSM so far. Very stable temperatures l. I have used it with and without the water pan, depending on what I cook. Runs a little cooler with water and the moist from it gives a little better bark I feel.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”