Got me a new one!!!

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Got me a new one!!!

Postby castironchris » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Finally got me an offset!! My son has been killing me with the food he has been cooking lately and I can’t match the flavor profile of the offset he achieves so I had to get one. I bought an Old Country Wrangler from Academy. So far I have cooked twice on it. Made some chicken that came out better than I thought it should and then some beef ribs and a rack of baby backs yesterday that came out ok. Seemed like I was chasing temps more than I should have been. Looking for any advice to help with that or any mods that might help. I keep seeing people using the fire grate as a tuning plate and the seat grate as the fire grate. Thoughts or suggestions more than welcome!! Oh yeah almost forgot the pics!
Attachments
3A97DE4C-15FE-436A-9380-D22C5B98633E.jpeg
ECDDA590-2508-4FD2-89AF-B3D9E3E9B0FF.jpeg
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Got me a new one!!!

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Good Looking Bones. I sure need to fix us some Dino Bones before too long :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

:cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Very nice! I used to cook on an old country from Academy. Good cooker but you do tend to chase temps a bit. I found it was less of a chase if I started a bed of charcoal in the firebox and then added logs to that as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:35 am

bsooner75 wrote:Very nice! I used to cook on an old country from Academy. Good cooker but you do tend to chase temps a bit. I found it was less of a chase if I started a bed of charcoal in the firebox and then added logs to that as needed.

This is what I was trying to do. Just a pretty big swing from the time I add to the time it gets burning good. I guess I don't really know what is a normal swing.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks Parts and Rambo.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:49 am

What is your son cooking on?
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am

Nice pit and great looking beef ribs. I also light a chimney full of briquettes and then place it in firebox with a couple of splits of wood and add wood every 40 minutes or so depending on the base of coals.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am

castironchris wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:Very nice! I used to cook on an old country from Academy. Good cooker but you do tend to chase temps a bit. I found it was less of a chase if I started a bed of charcoal in the firebox and then added logs to that as needed.

This is what I was trying to do. Just a pretty big swing from the time I add to the time it gets burning good. I guess I don't really know what is a normal swing.

It’s been a while but if my memory serves me I got it down to around 50 degrees. My target was 275 so if I stayed between 250 - 300 I called it a win. I’d preheat the wood on top of the firebox as well. Just keep an eye on it if it starts to smoke. When temps started to fall and got below 275 I’d chunk another piece of wood on the coals. I also found a water pan beneficial in that particular cooker.

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 am

Congrats on your new cooker, from where I’m sitting that bbq looks amazing 8)
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 am

GRailsback wrote:What is your son cooking on?

He's got one that he built for himself. Tried to get him to build me one just like it because he has got the skill and tools but you know how young people are!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:45 am

limey wrote:Nice pit and great looking beef ribs. I also light a chimney full of briquettes and then place it in firebox with a couple of splits of wood and add wood every 40 minutes or so depending on the base of coals.

That was my plan but I think I was messing with it too much. Gonna play some today without any food on it and see what happens. I also had a mix of different size splits the other day so I am gonna get some similar size ones and try.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:47 am

bsooner75 wrote:
castironchris wrote:

It’s been a while but if my memory serves me I got it down to around 50 degrees. My target was 275 so if I stayed between 250 - 300 I called it a win. I’d preheat the wood on top of the firebox as well. Just keep an eye on it if it starts to smoke. When temps started to fall and got below 275 I’d chunk another piece of wood on the coals. I also found a water pan beneficial in that particular cooker.

I will try today with a water pan and see if that helps. 50 degrees is kinda what I am shooting for at least at this point.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Congrats on your new cooker, from where I’m sitting that bbq looks amazing 8)

Thanks Ric! It was pretty tasty!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 pm

castironchris wrote:
GRailsback wrote:What is your son cooking on?

He's got one that he built for himself. Tried to get him to build me one just like it because he has got the skill and tools but you know how young people are!!

Your right, I am well aware how they are. I have one 30. I figure i probably have another 5 years or so before i know anything.

Good luck with the new cooker.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”