WSM vs PBC

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MrHappy
Pilgrim

WSM vs PBC

Postby MrHappy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 am

Newbie apologizing in advance.

Want add a smoker to my 22" Weber grill, and leaning towards the WSM. The PBC seems like a simple alternative but I'm concerned about the lack of air intake/exit unless you use tin foil on the rebar holes.

Does the PBC really deliver a better smoke flavor than the WSM?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: WSM vs PBC

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Can't help you here but let me say Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Welcome.

I have no experience with the PBC. Not very experienced with smoking either, but bought a WSM last year. Have used it pretty much and I am very happy with it. Simple and easy to use. Very easy to get a stable temperature. I bought the mid size.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
MrHappy
Pilgrim

Postby MrHappy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks #OldUsedParts and #Joernolav. I think the 18.5 WSM is fine for home cooking and believe the temp control for low and slow is the key. Since this and the PBC are just about the same price I can't see buying the PBC with its lack of control.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Well, just for grins I googled WSM vs PBC and found all kinds of information, videos and links where people had fired both of them up and done the actual comparison with the tasting afterwards. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:15 pm

You must be looking at the wrong PBC. There are all kinds of controls on some. Check out Gateway drum smokers.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:30 am

I had both. Still have the WSM if that says anything. Nothing wrong with the PBC but I like the WSM better. Lot more versatile.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:58 am

I don't have experience with a WSM, but had a well built UDS. I'd just get the WSM. Weber has quality finishes, it comes apart into multiple pieces for cleaning access or storage/transport, it has a door to access the fire. A drum smoker has an advantage if you want to hang long pieces of meat. But WSMs have a wide following and many modifications and add-on parts are available, I even saw a pellet conversion. And, of course, Harry Soo uses WSMs. But as many have said: It ain't the smoker...
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”