Cooking packer brisket joint on egg

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Gashead
Pilgrim

Cooking packer brisket joint on egg

Postby Gashead » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi guys, had me first attempt cooking brisket on the egg today, it was -1 Celsius so that would affect cooking time I know. The pointy bit was amazing but the other bit was a bit dry. Cooked it between 230-250 f for about 9 hours then rested for 1 hour. Rubbed with just salt and pepper and injected with beef stock just before putting it on. The bit below the fat was so juicy so does that mean I should flip it half way? Or should I marinate and inject the night before? It wasn’t expensive beef but seems like it’s more a technique than quality of meat.

It tasted like a dream though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Cooking packer brisket joint on egg

Postby Rambo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Welcome Gashead: I'm a Old time Stick Burner man but there are some Egg experts here that will see your post and offer their opinion in the next day or so.

Glad you're here :salut:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 am

I go by the probe test. When the pointy part of a meat probe slides into the brisky like a hot knife through butter, it is done. I cooked many a brisket in sub zero weather on my Primo with no issues, so outside temp should not be much of a factor.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am

Getting the thick (point) end to finish at the same time as the thin (flat) end is impossible.
One of them is going to under or over cook.
You might consider cooking half way and then cutting the flat end off and cubing it, then finish cooking the cubes in the drippings in a foil pan so they become burnt ends, which while overcooked are pretty good eating.
My biggest problem with Kamado packer cooking is the heat building up in the deflector which gets VERY hot over a long cook which seems to me over heats the underside of the brisket.
I have a Pitboss 24 so maybe BGE or other more upscale brands don't have the cookgrate to deflector "nearness" mine has and so don't experience what I saw.
My next kamado brisket will have some mods done to the grate placement or lower deflector to try to work around the issue.
Mshep
Pilgrim

Postby Mshep » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am

Hey I'm far from an expert as I have only had my vision grill for 8 months but, I have found if I cook on the upper rack I get a more even cook. Just cooked a pork butt yesterday and it came out fantastic. I know not all grills come with a top rack but there are several good ones out there.

Mark
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm new to Kamado cooking myself but I have seen a few different setups online.

Putting your brisket on top shelf like mentioned above.

Adding water pan with rack for brisket to sit on.

Also I noticed that some people will move the heat deflector up and put pizza stone about 1 1/2" above it sitting on steel pipe or bricks in order for pizza to cook more evenly. I wonder if a similar setup would work with Brisket.

Like I said, I am new to Kamado cooking so I am interested as well.

Thanks,
Weldon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:07 pm

WBBQ wrote:I'm new to Kamado cooking myself but I have seen a few different setups online.

Also I noticed that some people will move the heat deflector up and put pizza stone about 1 1/2" above it sitting on steel pipe or bricks in order for pizza to cook more evenly. I wonder if a similar setup would work with Brisket.

Thanks,
Weldon

I would never use a water pan in a Ceramic. Heat deflector maybe, but no water pan. It is not needed as the airflow is low, due to the insulating properties of ceramics. Also, in a WSM the water pan serves as a heat controller, which helps to avoid temps swings. Again, IMHO not needed in a ceramic. Just my .02
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Re: RE: Re: Cooking packer brisket joint on egg

Postby WBBQ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:[quote="WBBQ"]I'm new to Kamado cooking myself but I have seen a few different setups online.

Thanks,
Weldon

I would never use a water pan in a Ceramic. Heat deflector maybe, but no water pan. It is not needed as the airflow is low, due to the insulating properties of ceramics. Also, in a WSM the water pan serves as a heat controller, which helps to avoid temps swings. Again, IMHO not needed in a ceramic. Just my .02[/quote]That is what I was thinking but I have seen it done online. It was on the internet so it must be right, correct? Appreciate the input Dats.

Weldon

Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”