what size egg?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

what size egg?

Postby CJATE » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:25 pm

What do you got, and what all can you put on it?

I’ve read enough to know what I want, but not sure on the size.

I frequently cook brisket and 2 chickens at the same time.

really hope I can get that on a Large.

but im forced to order w/o being able to touch it first
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Re: what size egg?

Postby HarvestMoon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Wait awhile and Egghead will give the the best answer. But, I believe he'll say that you can get a large & a small for bout the same price as a XL and it will be more flexible because you can run them at two different temps.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I have a Primo Round and an Imperial Kamado, same size as L BGE. Each one will do up to a 15# packer. I've done 2 10# butts at one time in Einstien, but its pushing the limits without using a drip pan -too much grease to burn off and it'll pool in the ash clean out. If you got an extension rack you could do chickens above (dome runs hotter) but then you got yard birds dripping on the brisket. Not good. If the birds are smallish, they'd fit on either side of a brisket.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 pm

This Kamado sure looks like a beauty. Maybe he still has it.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9874
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 pm

CJATE wrote:What do you got, and what all can you put on it?

I’ve read enough to know what I want, but not sure on the size.

I frequently cook brisket and 2 chickens at the same time.

really hope I can get that on a Large.

but im forced to order w/o being able to touch it first

I have an XL, small, and mini. If you are looking for just one Egg the Large will probably work quite well for you. I don't think you will be able to smoke a brisket and two birds at the same time. But you could easily sequence them. Pull a brisket off, open the vents to get the temp up to 400 dome and put the chickens on for about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours while the brisket is foiled and resting in a cooler. Visit the Egghead forum, use the search function with L vs. XL or XL vs. L, or simply ask a few questions - you will get a lot of input.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
zilla USER_AVATAR
Zilla
Rustler

Postby Zilla » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I have a Primo Round and an Imperial Kamado, same size as L BGE. Each one will do up to a 15# packer. I've done 2 10# butts at one time in Einstien, but its pushing the limits without using a drip pan -too much grease to burn off and it'll pool in the ash clean out. If you got an extension rack you could do chickens above (dome runs hotter) but then you got yard birds dripping on the brisket. Not good. If the birds are smallish, they'd fit on either side of a brisket.

Why is that not good? It's been soooo long........ :twisted:
konrad_haskins USER_AVATAR
Konrad_Haskins
Rustler

Postby Konrad_Haskins » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:43 am

I sold my XL. Still have S, M & L. The XL firegrate is a monster compared with the rest but the same thickness and mine cracked down the middle. Maybe they have fixed it but my XL place setter had short legs and that was bad. The L with 2" Fire ring, place setter and factory three tier grate is similar in capacity to an XL. Tables are better than egg nests IMNHO.
Konrad Haskins, Pitmaster, http://www.BBQClass.com work, http://www.BBQHog.com play
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:47 am

Don't be afraid to look at the Primo. I have an XL Oval, and I really like the oval shape for fitting foods.

click here for a look at what will fit
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 am

Konrad_Haskins wrote:I sold my XL. Still have S, M & L. The XL firegrate is a monster compared with the rest but the same thickness and mine cracked down the middle. Maybe they have fixed it but my XL place setter had short legs and that was bad. The L with 2" Fire ring, place setter and factory three tier grate is similar in capacity to an XL. Tables are better than egg nests IMNHO.

My firebox cracked after 2-1/2 years - no big deal - still cooking with the cracked firebox and a new one is on the way under the BGE lifetime warranty. Cracked fireboxes are evidently pretty common. The firering for the XL has been redesigned (shorter) and the platesetter has longer legs. I have the old style firering and new style platesetter :shock: I like my XL a lot because I load it up pretty good from time to time but for my bride and I, our Small and Mini gets more activity. I like mine in table as well - made two tables - one is simply a side table.

If I were buying one - it would be a large. I don't think I would care for chicken over brisket or brisket over chicken but sequencing should work fine.

Pics of cooks on the XL - most would have fit on the large with some imagination on the set up and some eggcessories from http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/" target="_blank

Two butts over a brisket

Six slabs of BBs using nuts and bolts

Six slabs of BBs using fire bricks

Three butts cubano style

12 slabs of BBs - four levels (this is probably the only cook I have done that wouldn't fit on a large)

Four butts

Spares on two levels

Crown Roast and ABTs

Six chicks

Spatchcock turkey over veggies
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:41 am

CJATE wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote: If the birds are smallish, they'd fit on either side of a brisket.

of a large?

I don't knwo anyone who has a difrent brand... honestly waited this long as I assumed one would pop up and take up market shair.

tell me about what you got?

Think Cornish Game Hens.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am

CJATE wrote
I don't know anyone who has a different brand... honestly waited this long as I assumed one would pop up and take up market share.

tell me about what you got?

Just my observation/opinions.
BGE has a better marketing machine than any of the others. They also have more gizmos available (that lucky for me work just fine on a Primo).

Primo claims they are the only ceramic that is manufactured and assembled in the USA. They've been claiming this for years, so it must be true or their competitors/the nanny state would have required them to change that claim.

Fireboxes do crack, its not a big deal. Einsteins cracked and they sent me a replacement which went into Roma. Still using the cracked one in Einstein years later.

I like the top vent on a Primo better that the Eggs, but the lower vent on an Egg has a built in screen that the Primos don't have. Keeps the bugs from getting inside. Though the stated purpose of the screen is to prevent accidental fires, I've never had sparks come out the lower vent.

I like the hinge mechanism on the large Egg better the Primo Round, though not enough to convert over.

Imperial Kamados have earthenware shells and are not ceramic. A true flowerpot. But koolish. If the shell cracks, just glue it back together. They (at least mine) didn't come with a temp probe. I fixed that by drilling a hole.

A table/bench is better than the BGE craddle. Einstein came with 3 small ceramic feet to set it on. Never used them as I built the table straight away.

OEM gaskets aren't worth replacing. When the time comes to replace them, go with NOMEX gaskets (I bought mine from Freds Music).

OSD reports good things about the Bubba Keg, a metal version of an egg. Hey, and you put a Bubba on your trailer hitch for easy portability.

Speaking of Portability, my buds L BGE weighs in at 120# and Einstein is 168#. Maybe the Primo walls are slightly thicker or more dense :dont: In either case, not something you're going to pick up with one hand and toss in the back of you SUV.

Primo Dealers in my neck of the woods don't stock anything but sales inventory. Not even lump. The BGE dealer has all the grates, thermometers etc.

You'll be much happier using lump over briquettes in these things. Higher temps, longer burns, less ash.
Deputy Dave

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”