Gasket Failure

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Gasket Failure

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Went to try something new tonight - Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza. Even bought a food service quality 12" round pan. Anyway, got Einstein dialed in at 425° and opened the clam shell to add the pie. Whilst reaching for the pie, the top gasket fell off the upper clam shell. :shock: What to do?

I just laid the felled gasket on top of the bottom gasket and put the pie on the grate like everything is just peachy. Just can't peek at it without running risk of having to reposition the gasket again.

This gasket had that high dollar 3M high temp adhesive. Swear that the wood glue I used on Roma's gaskets worked better.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Gasket Failure

Postby egghead » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Was that the nomex gasket you installed?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:36 am

Any pictures Dave?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:48 am

Einstein at Temp
EinsteinAtTemp.jpg

Pizza Pie going on. 1/5 # of cheese, pepperoni, beef, olives, bell peppers, sauce. Notice the drooping gasket. Yes, it is a NOMEX gasket.
GoingOn.jpg

Coming off
ComingOff.jpg

While it looks like it could be good eats, the bottom crust burnt. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe I'll try a BGE gasket next time :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:01 am

Dave - I have three BGEs and don't have a BGE gasket on any of them - don't go there.

I replaced my gasket on my XL and Small eggs with nomex and they lasted about a year. The one on my XL simply got brittle over time and then started to come off.

I have gone to a Rutland on all three Eggs. The Rutland is a little thicker than the nomex. I used the kit in the following link with extra cement and installed it only on the base.

I built up the cement on the base rim and shaped it so it was about 1/8" thick all the way around. Then lightly pressed the gasket material into the cement. After about an hour I put the dome down to further set the gasket into the cement.

I have done low and slow with no leaks and have had my XL pegged at over 800 twice (not on purpose) without problems.

I just used a think layer on the Small and the Mini and they are working fine but a little loose in a spot or two. I'll reinstall using the same process I used on the XL soon.

Sorry - but I didn't take any pics. I'll take some when I redo the Small and Mini.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 am

egghead wrote:Dave - I have three BGEs and don't have a BGE gasket on any of them - don't go there.

I replaced my gasket on my XL and Small eggs with nomex and they lasted about a year. The one on my XL simply got brittle over time and then started to come off.

I have gone to a Rutland on all three Eggs. The Rutland is a little thicker than the nomex. I used the kit in the following link with extra cement and installed it only on the base.

I built up the cement on the base rim and shaped it so it was about 1/8" thick all the way around. Then lightly pressed the gasket material into the cement. After about an hour I put the dome down to further set the gasket into the cement.

I have done low and slow with no leaks and have had my XL pegged at over 800 twice (not on purpose) without problems.

I just used a think layer on the Small and the Mini and they are working fine but a little loose in a spot or two. I'll reinstall using the same process I used on the XL soon.

Sorry - but I didn't take any pics. I'll take some when I redo the Small and Mini.

Link? I like idea of only one gasket on the bottom. Seems like the top one is the one that always fails.
Deputy Dave

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Prod-95-6 ... B000MIPB6S

Here is another to the whiz's site with instructions on how to install http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

But I followed the process I described in my previous post
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Dave,

Here is another product Eggheads use http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =109342944

A few have used it by itself and swear by it and others use it to hold their rutland gasket on.

Good luck with it.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks. Ace might carry the kit locally so I'll check there first. I've use that cement on a woodstove, you got to work fast :lol:
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Got my back up against a wall time wise. I had bimmer overheating problems which cost me a couple of days and Einstein is going to be smoking early all day tomorrow so I had to install the Rutland gasket kit this afternoon. Went pretty smooth, much smoother that the thermostat on the bimmer did. :lol:
Deputy Dave

n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:16 pm

sorry to hear of your beemer probs. if only we were closer, i would have popped that bad boy t-stat in for ya. been doing b'mers for a little bit anyways. well pretty much all the euros since early mid nineties full time. and eighties part time.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”