BGE knock off at BPS.

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boomer453
Pilgrim

BGE knock off at BPS.

Postby boomer453 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:00 am

I see bass pro shops is selling ceramic cookers. i don't know the specific brand but was wondering if anyone had seen them and if they were of reasonable quality?
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Re: BGE knock off at BPS.

Postby CJATE » Thu May 05, 2011 2:13 pm

is Cajun or bayou or some such, I don't know anything about them.

as I understand it, all these ceramics or the look a like insulated mettle counter parts, all work about the same, but the quality and customer service of the egg is superior. I realize this is a blanket statement, but close to accurate.

I can't comment on if the price of the egg is sufficient for it's following. My egg is not for sale, but if i ever replace it, i would go with a knock off.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
swittner USER_AVATAR
swittner
Pilgrim

Postby swittner » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I was looking at adding a ceramic cooker to the arsenal.
What about the Primo's? I like the versatility of the cooker with the added pieces.
I have 6 people in my family so always looking for the big version.
Any other thoughts on the larger ceramic cookers?

Thanks,
Stephen

Weber Performer
Big Hat BBQ model BH1830
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

swittner wrote:I was looking at adding a ceramic cooker to the arsenal.
What about the Primo's? I like the versatility of the cooker with the added pieces.
I have 6 people in my family so always looking for the big version.
Any other thoughts on the larger ceramic cookers?

Thanks,

Of of my Yard Art, "Einstein" (the Primo) is never for sale.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 pm

"Einstein", Primo oval, or large BGE is plenty big enough for 6 people.

I'm a BGE zealot but would be just as happy with a Primo - have checked them out and they are robust as compared to some of the knock offs. Have an XL, small, and mini. The small gets most of the attention but I'm normally cooking for two and have cooked for 10 with the mini/small combo. The XL is a beast and I have had 12 racks of ribs on it on four levels.

I would check the warranties associated with any of the knock offs and consider what kind of customer service you would get from a big box store or others that don't have a large part of their business associated with Qing. Not sure about Primo but I suspect they are like BGE and give a life time warranty on the ceramic.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

I saw one today at Gander Mountain, didn't pay it much mind, $200 i think, don't know what brand
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker
commander USER_AVATAR
Commander
Pilgrim

Postby Commander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 pm

I saw one at Bass Pro Shaop and I have a BGE and to compare the two would throw the Big Green Egg too far out front. To me they look cheep and are priced accordingly. If thinking of buying a ceramic grill, me personally other than the BGE I would go with the Primo or Kamato grill. That way you are not getting to far from the type quality you are seeking :D
One Weber Genesis Silver, One Weber 22-1/2" Kettle, one Weber 18-1/2" WSM, One Long Horn Offset, One Bradley Smoker, And One Large Big Green Egg....And Now a Orange Thermapen!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Ill just keep my Chargriller Acorn....for the price....and it cooks just as good as an egg...... :laughing7:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 pm

I own a Kamado Joe and was looking at a "Bayou Classic Ceramic Cooker" at Home Depot today. It seemed "ok" but the quality was obviously not on par with the Joe and the price of the Bayou was only about $150 less than my Joe.
revolver1
Pilgrim

Postby revolver1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 am

boomer453 wrote:I see bass pro shops is selling ceramic cookers. i don't know the specific brand but was wondering if anyone had seen them and if they were of reasonable quality?

Kahuna is another knock off to consider, same warranty as BGE, but you have no dealers that I can find.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:31 am

Love my Primo Oval XL. It's not cheap, but I cracked on transporting it (my fault, I didn't have it tied down good) and I sent pics of the crack and serial number to Primo, and they guy sent me another one, in the box! I still have it sitting there, my Primo with the crack is still jamming away. One day I plan to use the no-crack one for the house, and use the other in comps, I just have to figure out how to continually transport it without damaging it further. The eggs themselves are a great cooker, I've had on myself. I just really like the oval shape and feel that it provides great usable cook space and adds to the versatility. I've used mine as an oven, ultra-hot pizza oven, grill, smoker, and stove. I bought what I felt was the best, because I only like to cry once :)
race5 USER_AVATAR
Race5
Pilgrim

Postby Race5 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 am

I am contemplating purchasing a Joe / Primo / BGE .....

The Grill Shoppe http://www.texasgrillshop.com has a large Joe for $899.00 complete with the stand and all the goodies. Good deal :?:

You all keep talking about the warranty / customer service .... Have you had problems with them to warrant calling customer service or having to warranty them.

The cracked one metioned above and them sending a replacement is an anomaly (IMO) but sounds like an awesome company to deal with. Just asking because
the only time I ever called customer support ( other than utility companys ) was on my Maui Jim sunglasses when the frame broke. Maybe i've been lucky
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 am

Race5 wrote:I am contemplating purchasing a Joe / Primo / BGE .....

The Grill Shoppe http://www.texasgrillshop.com has a large Joe for $899.00 complete with the stand and all the goodies. Good deal :?:

You all keep talking about the warranty / customer service .... Have you had problems with them to warrant calling customer service or having to warranty them.

The cracked one metioned above and them sending a replacement is an anomaly (IMO) but sounds like an awesome company to deal with. Just asking because
the only time I ever called customer support ( other than utility companys ) was on my Maui Jim sunglasses when the frame broke. Maybe i've been lucky

Define good deal. What are the key aspects that comprise a good deal, for you, personally? Not being cynical, I'm genuinely curious, it means something different to different people. For some, a good deal is amount of stuff per dollar spent, kinda like Golden Corral. And if they're happy with the purchase, then it was the right decision. For some, they'd rather pay upfront for the quality, service, finite details, etc. For instance, I like that Primo is made in the USA. It's just important to me, doesn't make it the right way. Plus, with the oval shape I think it is superior to a round shape in usable capacity. Again, just my preference, and there are just as many who like the round. Primo even makes a round for those who need a smaller cooker with a tight footprint. Either way, with a lot of money being spent regardless of brand or product, it's a significant investment. The customer service aspect just equates to peace of mind to know that if something happens to the unit, the company will stand behind it.

Ultimately, you'll make the choice that's best for you. Best of luck with whichever one you choose, and many years of outstanding cooking!
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

My only experience is with Big Green Egg. I have 2. A mini (10" grid) and a large (18" grid). Been using BGE for a few years now and have been completely satisfied. Great for low and slow, hot and fast, grilling and baking. We use them 3-4 times a week.
The BGE warranty is lifetime on ceramics to the original owner.
If you are looking to save some bucks on a BGE I would suggest you purchase one at an Eggfest. That is what it is for. To promote and market the BGE.
I would recommend the one in Salado coming up in March. Great host and great food.
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”