Bought a used Ceramic Cooker today..

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Bought a used Ceramic Cooker today..

Postby cowboydon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Well actually the wife did, and when we got it home and cleaned up - The firebox and grate ring are broke. I never dealt with
one these cookers before and wondering if its worth trying to find replacement parts? Can you cook on them if the insides are cracked?
The diameter is 16 inches across (is this standard?). Any help you can provide on even possibly what brand it is would be great.

Thanks

007_sm.jpg

008_sm.jpg

016_sm.jpg
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Bought a used Ceramic Cooker today..

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Dang Don,. You got an original Kamado! Good cooker.., and I hope you can get parts..thats cool...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:03 am

Don,

Your bride made a nice find. You can absolutely cook on it. Many people cook with cracked firerings and fireboxes. The size looks to be the same as a medium BGE in case you want to get some replacement parts, but I would confirm the size before ordering any.

I would use it for low and slow and grilling under 400 degrees. The old style ceramic cookers are clay and not like the ones today that can take the nuclear temps.

Didn't see a cap in the pics - did it come with a cap that can restrict the flow or one that can shut down the lump?

Is there a gasket between the dome and base?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:48 am

Looks like an Imperial Kamado. They were made in China and Japan back in the day. GIs would take them back to the states. They are terra cotta, meaning a true flower pot. If the outside shell cracks, it can be glued. As for the fire ring, don't sweat the cracks there. Looks like you're missing the top vent piece. Measure the diameter and match it up with a BGE top vent. Those innards look very much like what came with my Primo; a fire ring, base and grate. Today the base and fire ring are one piece.

http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html" target="_blank

Yours appears to a #4
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 am

I know "nothing" about these but that sure is a pretty piece
and should generate lots of good conversation in the future.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 am

Nice Pot Don it looks to me like two 1 cu ft bags of Miracle Grow potting soil...will work nicely. :mrgreen:
tarde venientibus ossa....
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:00 pm

egghead wrote:Don,

Your bride made a nice find. You can absolutely cook on it. Many people cook with cracked firerings and fireboxes. The size looks to be the same as a medium BGE in case you want to get some replacement parts, but I would confirm the size before ordering any.

I would use it for low and slow and grilling under 400 degrees. The old style ceramic cookers are clay and not like the ones today that can take the nuclear temps.

Didn't see a cap in the pics - did it come with a cap that can restrict the flow or one that can shut down the lump?

Is there a gasket between the dome and base?

Thanks EH - I did some research last night and I came to the conclusion that it is really close to the size of a Medium BGE, so I would need to get the cap, and a new airflow vent (the on it is rusted open) and there is no gasket.

DATsBBQ wrote:Looks like an Imperial Kamado. They were made in China and Japan back in the day. GIs would take them back to the states. They are terra cotta, meaning a true flower pot. If the outside shell cracks, it can be glued. As for the fire ring, don't sweat the cracks there. Looks like you're missing the top vent piece. Measure the diameter and match it up with a BGE top vent. Those innards look very much like what came with my Primo; a fire ring, base and grate. Today the base and fire ring are one piece.

http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Yours appears to a #4

Thanks DATsBBQ it does need a cap, and the outside shell is in great condition. Thanks for the link.
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 pm

[quote="Papa Tom"]Nice Pot Don it looks to me like two 1 cu ft bags of Miracle Grow potting soil...will work nicely. :mrgreen:[/quote

PT - That was plan B if it wasnt usable :king:
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Don,

I wonder if you can toss the top in your cooker for a while and then spray it with some cooking spray. That's what most folks do when t is left out a while and get caked with rust.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:13 am

The link I posted also sells parts.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”