pics from first smoke on new cooker

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txag826
Wrangler

pics from first smoke on new cooker

Postby txag826 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 pm

I recently purchased a char-griller akorn at lowes and was finally able to cook on it last weekend.

It was my first time to ever cook ribs in my life and I also did a small brisket about 5lbs. Overall it came out great, the ribs were awesome!! ( i did hours upon hours of reading on here before cooking them so thanks for all the help! ) The brisket came out great also but was just a tad dry, possibly should have taken it off sooner or maybe tried an injection. Either way it was a great learning experience and I will be back at it tomorrow doing another rack of ribs, a 6lb brisket, and a whole chicken.

I just ordered the smoking stone (for indirect cooking) for the akorn on friday so im looking forward to that showing up as well. As for the pit itself I couldnt be happier with it. On the cook last weekend I put about 5-6 pieces of lump in there and as the day went on threw some pecan chunks in and it help 250ish from 7:30 to late in the day after I was done cooking.

One question I do have... Should I/Would I be better off cooking a full packer brisket. I buy the small ones bc its just me and my wife but am I missing out not having the fat cap on there? In yalls opinion how long should I smoke these small briskets, it seems like they are getting done in about 4 hours.. is that too fast should I cook at lower temps for longer? Thanks for any help..

Steven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: pics from first smoke on new cooker

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:17 am

Looks great!
When I cook any part of the brisket that isn't the whole thing, I cook the point rather than flat. You can trim it down some if you like, or just do so after cooking. The flat is really, REALLY lean and can be a bit on the dry side. If a flat is all I have, i'll cook it first, then slice it, then steam it for about 30 min or so.
(Insert witty signature here)
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 am

The akorns are putting out great food. All I ever see is great results. Nice choice of cooker.

Before the eggheads chime in, I just want to say "we'll see how well they hold up over the years". But for now, they make fantastic BBQ.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Postby Delaware Smoker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 am

Hey Tx,I bought a Kamado last month.I love it.Make sure you spend the 25 bucks,& get the custom cover for it.The ash pan fills up with water when it rains without it.Also visit the Kamado Gru website.Lots of info there,about any troubles you might be having with the Kamado.Are you having any air leaks,around the ash pan or the lid top?If so,check out the website.Plenty of info N vidoes,to help fix these problems.After using this Kamado,not sure if i'll fire up my CG Smoker,it sits with a :( look now.LOL If I can be of any help,just let me know.
Bill
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:36 pm

FYI, there is already a huge "mother of all Akorn threads" thread at another popular forum. The JMselzer youtube vids will point you there. Pages on pages of mods and experiences.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
txag826
Wrangler

Postby txag826 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Yea the cover was the first purchase I made for it. It stays under the porch but I still like to keep it clean. So far I haven't had any leaks at all! As far as it lasting... for what I would pay for one large egg I could buy like 3 of these but we will see.

I am getting ready to put some ribs and a whole chicken on in about 30 mins
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice ribs

When you get your stone, if you wrap it in some HDAF, it will stay clean. Change the foil every few cooks when it gets gunked up.

Good luck with your new smoker.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 am

Nice cook, Army. I like the packers, particularly the smaller 9-10 pounders, unless time is a premium. As I read these comments from Egg Cult guys, it occurs to me many have the dry thing as an issue early on...probably since the things are so dern thermally efficient. Maybe BluDawg or EggHead can comment on the venting as an aid, they are veterans of the flower pot brigade, and I'd think a small water pot to stoke a little steam wouldn't hurt.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”