I need info Egghead....

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

I need info Egghead....

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Egghead...Im fixin to buy a Chargriller Acorn Komado style grill ....Reviews read well I want your honest input......thanks bro
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Re: I need info Egghead....

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Like to know what egghead says. I have had mine for about 2 years now and love it. i paid 249.00 when I got mine. It still looks and cooks like new. It is not as good as the egg but not at the price either. I use mine at home and when Im at comps I cook my chicken on it and have walked in the top 5 ever time. Best steaks Ive cooked have came from it also. You will need to change out the gaskets on it to the type the egg has cause it does leak at very high temps. And they will get burnt out at about 600 deg.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:42 am

I don't have any experience with them Jeff but can't see why they would operate different than any other kamado.

googled and found a bunch of positive reviews and a forum that looks handy

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-1661 ... B005ELWI7S

http://kamadoguru.com/viewforum.php?f=22
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Ok well I just pulled the trigger and bought an Acorn Kamado grill...will assemble on Thursday and season her up.....hopefully some pics and observations to follow.....Seems like a pretty good deal at $300.....

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Jeff- if it's like the one EH posted from Amazon I've heard nothing but positive reviews from those I've spoke with/ read about. Only downfall is they seem to be made of a little more metal than ceramic like the egg but they do come included with the stand and side tables unlike the egg. I don't think they cook much different and I have nothing but rave reviews about my egg since I bought it ... not sure if they make an adapter for the Char-griller or not but the guru was a good investment for me. Maintaining adjusting temp will take some tinkering with.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed May 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks guys...Ok Its on the front porch....ready to be seasoned tomorrow.....now educate me on Fuel.....Which works better Lump or Briquetts?.....Im not a big lump fan....but Im listening to ideas....

Hook Em' Horns
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Come to the Dark side Jeff put down the KBB. Use the Force of the Lump, Embrace it It will Love you back. :laughing7: :laughing7: Flower pot type cookers require lump. Burns hotter lasts longer Less Ash.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed May 01, 2013 7:44 pm

BluDawg wrote:Come to the Dark side Jeff put down the KBB. Use the Force of the Lump, Embrace it It will Love you back. :laughing7: :laughing7: Flower pot type cookers require lump. Burns hotter lasts longer Less Ash.

Thanks Dawg...Ill buy a bag in the morning before seasoning it....and will start using it and embracing it...... :lol:

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm a lump guy myself w/ chunks of wood. I found that the wood "chips" smolder for a short time and then it's over with, I feel that the chunks get you a more constant source. You can open the top and crack the bottom vent 1" and if it's like my egg it'll crank up to 300+ easily. I'm assuming you know this, but it's better to be safe than sorry so I'll throw this in just incase you dont...if you have ceramic on the inside exposed to the coal dont use lighter fluid as it'll absorb and ruin the cooker.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 am

Leave the vents cracked open when not in use to avoid mold. I agree that lump is best. Remember to calibrate the thermometer. Enjoy!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks guys ... I value ur thoughts... Got th lump and she's being seasons as we speak ....

Hook Em' Horns
commander USER_AVATAR
Commander
Pilgrim

Postby Commander » Sun May 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I have had my egg for about a year now and as far as my other pits are concerned they don't get used at all anymore The Big Green Egg is tops and probably the most expensive of them all. But worth it at least for me... :cheers:
One Weber Genesis Silver, One Weber 22-1/2" Kettle, one Weber 18-1/2" WSM, One Long Horn Offset, One Bradley Smoker, And One Large Big Green Egg....And Now a Orange Thermapen!
commander USER_AVATAR
Commander
Pilgrim

Postby Commander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Only get what you pay for and the warranty on the BGE cannot be beat if you buy it from a dealer, which I be-leave is a little costly but will pay for itself in the long run.... :argue:
One Weber Genesis Silver, One Weber 22-1/2" Kettle, one Weber 18-1/2" WSM, One Long Horn Offset, One Bradley Smoker, And One Large Big Green Egg....And Now a Orange Thermapen!
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Up date us Jeff... since you've had time to play with it, whats your take?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”