Got a Komodo Joe today

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rockinar
Pilgrim

Got a Komodo Joe today

Postby rockinar » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 am

I have only ever owned gas grills. I REALLY REALLY wanted a Pitmaker Safe smoker. But my budget would not allow at this time. I realized a Komodo was basically a high end smoker, on a much smaller scale. So I went with the Classic Joe. I don't need 4 racks of space anyways. I only cook for 3 people. It fit my needs and budget just great and it can be fired up pretty quick. My dealer carried Green Egg, Primo and Komodo Joe. I went with the Joe. Research told me it can cook as good as the Egg, great price, and the Joe came with side tables and a couple of JOEcessories and it was $300 cheaper.

Looking forward to this cooker. I "baked" some chicken breasts tonight using the deflector and a water pan. The daughter and wife don't like black burnt bits on their chicken that come with grilling, so I have to "bake" or smoke the chicken. It came out great. Was super moist, had good flavor, no burnt bits, and had a ever slight pinkish slight smoke hue to it. The daughter said "It's really good" for once. I usually get told "its dry" or "It's burned", etc. And I just got the request for "add more smokey flavor" next time. So even the family agreed it was a good purchase and is digging it.
Feast Like A Texan
Pilgrim

Re: Got a Komodo Joe today

Postby Feast Like A Texan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am

Congrats! I've had my Komado Joe for a few months, and have not been disappointed thus far. Happy cookin'!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Got a Komodo Joe today

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

rockinar wrote:I have only ever owned gas grills. I REALLY REALLY wanted a Pitmaker Safe smoker. But my budget would not allow at this time. I realized a Komodo was basically a high end smoker, on a much smaller scale. So I went with the Classic Joe. I don't need 4 racks of space anyways. I only cook for 3 people. It fit my needs and budget just great and it can be fired up pretty quick. My dealer carried Green Egg, Primo and Komodo Joe. I went with the Joe. Research told me it can cook as good as the Egg, great price, and the Joe came with side tables and a couple of JOEcessories and it was $300 cheaper.

Looking forward to this cooker. I "baked" some chicken breasts tonight using the deflector and a water pan. The daughter and wife don't like black burnt bits on their chicken that come with grilling, so I have to "bake" or smoke the chicken. It came out great. Was super moist, had good flavor, no burnt bits, and had a ever slight pinkish slight smoke hue to it. The daughter said "It's really good" for once. I usually get told "its dry" or "It's burned", etc. And I just got the request for "add more smokey flavor" next time. So even the family agreed it was a good purchase and is digging it.

Really :shock: , its ceramic right? :?: You shouldn't need a water pan at all. :idea: They retain so much heat that air flow is minimized, thus retaining moisture. I suspect if you ditch the pan you'll get even more smoky flavor. (I'd also be afraid of cracking the unit should the water pan tip over or something.)

You might also want to experiment with different brands of lump. Some seem to be more smokey that others.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”