One does not simply pick up an egg.

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokenpixels
Pilgrim

One does not simply pick up an egg.

Postby smokenpixels » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:55 pm

So my father picked up a primo a few weeks back as a birthday gift. He's been super pleased with it and I've enjoyed talking "shop" with him about BBQ. The stand it came with was okay, but he felt like it was a little flimsy. So, being the woodworker and general jack of all trades that he is, he constructed a cedar wood "nest" for it.

I drove up to see my folks this weekend and he was showing me the finished nest sans-egg. I got to thinking, how does one pick up an egg to drop it in a table? The things don't have any grips on them. He was talking about stringing a steel cable between two trees and using a winch to pick it up.

What about you guys? How do you manhandle one of those things?
24"x36" Lone Star offset
Brinkman Vertical Smoker
Charbroil gasser
Webber Silver
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: One does not simply pick up an egg.

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Three ways.
1. One, use those human style forklift arm-straps. You'll need two people.
2. Take the top off, remove the fire ring, set inside the nest and put the fire ring back in and attach the top. Possible to do with one person.
3. Open the bottom vent and use that for one point to lift from (quasi handle). Risky. Need two folks unless you're Hulk Hogan or the like.

Hope that helps.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Plant the thing like a tree and build the nest around it.
I've never needed to lift mine,but moving it is a one man job
with an appliance dolly.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:36 pm

What Dats said - break it down then put it back together.

Don't put that bad boy directly on the wood. Put a paver down (not a thin tile) and then some air space between the base and the paver.

Something like this

Or this

He is going to like it a lot.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
Jrow17
Pilgrim

Postby Jrow17 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Three ways.
2. Take the top off, remove the fire ring, set inside the nest and put the fire ring back in and attach the top. Possible to do with one person.
3. Open the bottom vent and use that for one point to lift from (quasi handle). Risky. Need two folks unless you're Hulk Hogan or the like.

Hope that helps.

What he said
Here is a picture of my primo table that I buildImage

Jrow
Jrow17
Pilgrim

Postby Jrow17 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Three ways.

Hope that helps.

What he said
Here is a picture of my primo table that I buildImage

Jrow
smokenpixels
Pilgrim

Postby smokenpixels » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for the tips ya'll. Unbeknown to me, he went ahead and moved it after we left Sunday. At least his tow strap and winch didn't give out.

I hadn't thought about the heat projection for the wood. I'll make sure and pass that along to him.
24"x36" Lone Star offset
Brinkman Vertical Smoker
Charbroil gasser
Webber Silver
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 am

Nice set up JRow - I see you have the mandatory bottle opener and cap catcher installed as per ceramic cooker table safety and environmental guidelines. Of course these attachments will soon be required by law.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I've got a large egg myself, and I actually use it at cookoffs. I dont see anyone moving an XL personally, but when it comes to mine we usually stablize it with the handle and shelves using one hand and pick it up from the nest legs "catty-corner" (to avoid flipping it) with the other hand. 2 things to note... A) you and whoever else better be fairly cock-strong to lift the thing.... B) do it while youre sober. :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BROS BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby BROS BBQ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 pm

jtilk.....

I recently purchased a medium egg and I LOVE IT....I do competition cook-offs and was wondering how am I gonna transport this thing with out breaking it ???? any ideas
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Bros- They make an egg carrier for them. It straps the egg closed and mounts it to the nest if I'm not mistaken. May wanna try looking them up or talking to a local dealer and see if they can get you one. I'd empty it out and put the carrier on it. you can prolly handle it by yourself that way. Take the pieces that you removed and wrap in old blankets and pack securely or in the cab of the truck.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Built these for my small and medium eggs.

Make it a little more robust and put handles on each side so two can walk of with it. Taking out firebox and firering will lower weight

Flip the carrier, put a paver on it and the little green feet and you can cook on it.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”