Any new gaskets available?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Any new gaskets available?

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:02 pm

The sea breeze in Galveston did a number on Einstein's metal parts, even the stainless ones :roll: , so an overhaul is being planned. New top and bottom vents, and a new paint job (Rustoleum) on the clam-shell mechanism. As part of said facelift, I plan on replacing the gaskets.
I've done the the OEM gaskets.
I've done BGE gaskets.
I've done the Rutledge woodstove gasket.
I've done the high temp Silicon.
I would like to try something else. Are there better alternatives on the market?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Any new gaskets available?

Postby egghead » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Dave,

I replaced my son's gasket 3-4 weeks ago with a high temp nomex from Smokeware. Went on pretty smooth so I changed all three of mine last week. The silicon gasket had gotten a little iffy because of high temp cooks. Before changing, I did a cleaning burn on each, 700 dome temp for just over an hour - that finished the silicon off. Price pretty reasonable as well.

I made a slight departure from their installation instructions and applied some 3M Super 77 before the gasket. If you use the 3M Super 77, spray it in a cup and apply with a brush so you don't get glue all over Einstein.

I used a putty knife to remove the silicon, then wiped it down with acetone. After that, I put a flapper wheel on my dremel and cleaned the surface real well.

Smokeware also has a cap that a lot of eggheads like but I haven't tried it.

Good luck with the facelift.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 am

Did you install the Nomex on the top and bottom, or just the bottom?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 pm

EH, I am going to order the Stainless top vent, really like the design.

Just ordered the bottom vent from Primo. They think alot about their parts. $50 plus shipping :shock:
Deputy Dave

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:31 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Did you install the Nomex on the top and bottom, or just the bottom?

Dave - top and bottom
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:29 pm

The stainless steel top arrived today along with the gasket. I was told that there is enough gasket material for the top and bottom, but I'm dubious about that claim. The SS top looks to be great. I think I'll have to wait until the end of the semester to do the project though, as this has been the most intensive reading/testing/lab work yet. Plus, the weather will be warmer. It gets cold here :roll:
Deputy Dave

RRP
Pilgrim

Postby RRP » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:53 pm

When you say you tried the "Rutledge" gasket I assume you meant one of the several Rutland gaskets. I have been using Rutland flat braided gaskets on my eggs for years and love them. My oldest is going on 11 years and gets regular use. The whole thing about the Rutland is how you apply it. After proper application it is smooth sailing for years! Just for full disclosure I have been selling Rutland gaskets cut to the size needed per size of your BGE or Primo or some of these knock offs from China. I make no money on this service! Just to add some creditability to my post I have been doing this since 2002 and to date have shipped 1,580 gaskets to folks in 48 states and 11 foreign countries! In case you are wondering the two missing states are ME and VT...guess those states aren't into BBQ! LOL
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 am

I bought the Nomex gasket for the refurb, but I'll keep you in mind for the next go around. 8)
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 pm

EH,
Did you run the gaskets thru the dryer Ala Fred's Music gasket video?
Deputy Dave

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 pm

I believe his video/instructions are for a Nomex that is white and has no adhesive backing. I did use some 3M super 77 though. I sprayed it in a disposable cup and brushed it on. I cleaned the surface a buffed with an abrasive wheel with my dremel as well.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”