ceramic (BGE, Primo, Kamado) purchase

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Diesel
Pilgrim

ceramic (BGE, Primo, Kamado) purchase

Postby Diesel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Alright fellas this is my first "real" post and I have question or two for anyone who uses a ceramic/Egg/Primo/Kamado type cooker. Right now I have a Weber Kettle and a great gas grill but am looking to upgrade and get something better for bigger cuts of meat and low and slow cookin. I have been doing my research and really like the Primo oval. I probably will never cook more than a brisket or two at a time so I dont need a big unit. Now on to the questions: Are these ceramic cookers really as good as they say? (BGE users seem to be SERIOUSLY into their grills.) How do they compare to a good offset (Klose, Lyfe Time, etc) in the smoking department? After purchasing your BGE/Primo etc, (and paying a few dollars for it), do you still think it is worth the money? Would you buy one again?
Any input would be great.
Thanks Mucho!!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: ceramic (BGE, Primo, Kamado) purchase

Postby JamesB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Ain't never met or heard a flower pot... err :lol: Ceramic cooker owner complain about purchasing one! All seem to be real happy with 'em and claim the cook anything very well.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm

I have a Primo Kamado and an Imperial Kamado which the Mrs named Einstein and Roma. If a tornado were to take them away they'd be the first things I'd replace and I'd replace them with the same thing.

Can't speak to the oval as I've never owned or used one but Primo puts out a good product.

You can see them and other ceramics plus a bunch of "regular" pits in the gallery below in the sig line.

High tech flower pots to be sure. The Firebox is a similar ceramic to the heat tiles on the shuttle. No need to put a blanket on these things as they are extremely efficient. 12 hr burn on less than a chimney of lump.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 pm

I have three BGEs - XL, Small, and Mini. If you go to a ceramic cooker, you will likely be using your gasser to store accesories for your ceramic cooker. :lol: I started out with an XL and it wasn't soon before I picked up a Small. I have cooked in excess of 24 hours at 250 on the XL, 9 hours at 250 on a load of lump on the small and although I wouldn't smoke on the mini, pretty sure I could get 6 hours out of the Mini. You can smoke, grill or bake on ceramic cookers. You go go low at 250 or go up to searing temps at 700.

Seared a tri tip last night at 650 then roasted it at 400 until 125

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
finney USER_AVATAR
Finney
Pilgrim

Postby Finney » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Primo XL and Primo JR here. I love them.
Iron Pig BBQ Competition Cooking Team - www.IronPigBBQ.com
"Reverse Sear" info website - www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”