EGG?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: EGG?

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:31 pm

Fred's Music is a BGE dealer but you have to call on pricing and to order. Can't buy one online if you want to.

Shipping is the killer. Best advice is to shop locally.

BGE is the best known but not the first. BGE's hinge is a better than Primo's. Primo advertises that they are the "only" ceramic made in America. True or not? Don't know. Imperials aren't technically ceramic, more Earthen ware and have always been imported from the Pacific Rim.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
madmax52
Wrangler

Postby madmax52 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 am

Im going to look into one when I get home. I saw that our local Rural King had one for sale online the other day. Ill have to check and see if its a knock off or what though.
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 am

well max i have had a Big Green Egg for about 2 weeks now.. they are about 789$ for a 18inch large the next in line is about 1100$ it is i want to say 24inch Egg Head knows for sure. i been asking him all my egg quistions. i have to say that after cooking over gas or charcoal that the egg is 40 times better than anything else i have used. talking about hold the moister in a steak or pork chop. and you can cook anything in it from pizza to bread to a steak. sunday morning my wife and i was still up at 4am watching movies and i cooked a pork tenderloin and abouv it i cooked a loaf of bread to go with it. they really are grea. but remember that is only my .02 cent worth and i am a newby with the egg. i just got my pizza stoned ordered and a plate setter so that is what i am going to try next. and i wish you the best of luck with it.
RedNeck
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:24 am

From everything I've read about the BGE's (and I've been doing a lot of research on them) the pros outweigh the cons. IMO, the savings in fuel usage will make up for the initial cost of a ceramic in short time. I've seen a lot of information on 20 pound bags of lump lasting a month or more, even when cooking 3-4 times a week on the egg. If I'm lucky, I can get 3 cooks on a 9 pound bag of briquettes using my kettle.

I will be getting a large BGE as soon as the budget allows for it, but probably won't be until sometime next year with the current state of the economy.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 am

you are right i have done proble 8-10 cooks on mine like steaks and what not all with cooking temps of about 500+ on cooking temp for about 30 mins-1.5 hr. i am just about to buy my second 8 lbs sack of lump. but you need to make sure that you buy good lump there is a web site i dont know what it is. one of the other guys proble knows what is or where it is. i think i have seen it on here. that talks about all the other lump coal and what is the best and what is the worst. i got some the first bag it wasnt great lump but it did what it was suppose to do. and i would say go and spring for the XLBGE its only 100-200$ more and alot bigger.
RedNeck
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 am

This is the site about charcoal and ceramics.......

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
Jim
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 am

thanks jim i knew one of our great guys would know that website i was talking about. thanks again.
RedNeck
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 am

The Eggs come in five sizes - XL, Large, Medium, small, and mini.

I have an XL, Small, and Mini. The large will satisfy most people just fine, it's the most popular and there are plenty eggcessories made for it.

If you have the funds for an XL, you may want to consider a Large and Small for about the same cost. Advantage: You can cook at two temps. Smokin on the large and doing some sides on the small.

Some folks look at the mini as a toy - not seaux. It is a lean mean grillin machine. Sear a steak at 700 degrees about 90 seconds a side, rest, lower the temp to 400 dome and roast until you get the steak to your liking. I have smoked up to 8 hours on the mini with lump that would fill a gallon jug, although this takes some practice and some creativity in setting up for indirect smokin.

The most important eggcesories are good thermometers. I use a BBQ guru for all nighters, thermopen for instant checks, and a cheap cable thermometer for monitoring.

The website for lump reviews is http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm" target="_blank

Lots of other stuff on the Whiz's site - you may want to visit and peruse this site before making a decision on a ceramic cooker.

Ceramic cookers are different and there is a small learning curve but IMHO it is mightyfine, especially if you like to geaux beyond traditional Q.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah, the naked whiz site is great if you're interested in ceramics. Lots of information on various brands of lump charcoal, and a bunch of "how to" articles for using the ceramic grills.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”