EGG?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

madmax52
Wrangler

EGG?

Postby madmax52 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:22 pm

So I've been out of the grilling picture for a few months and all, and totally oblivious before that too. So could someone shine some light on this ceramic egg grill? It seems pretty interesting and I've seen a lot of posts on here about them. So what exactly are they? Pros? Cons? Are they that new or was I just that oblivious before?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: EGG?

Postby BluDawg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Max pm DAT's , Egghead or Surfinsapo they got the handle on that. all I can tell you they are pricey and folks that got them swear by them. Me I got the poor mans model, Weber kettle, It's ceraminc coated. :lol: Hope things are well with you Keep up the good work. :rambo: :tup:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't have a ceramic, but they sure do seem to be popular with those that have 'em!

Here's a few websites that'll get you started with info until Dats, nbrdnck ro Egghead come along with first hand info.

http://biggreenegg.com
http://www.kamado.com
http://www.grilldome.com
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Don't forget the Bubba Keg, Imperial Kamado and Bayou makes a ceramic too along with a few others on the tip of my tongue.

I use mine primarily for smoking, but plan on doing some pizzas in the not too distant future (need to buy a stone and I'm waiting for a coupon or sale).

Cons - weight. My Primo round is about 170#. Course that could be a good thing cause a single thief would have to be a strong SOB to carry it away :lol: Another con is capacity but with an extender rack you can increase that significantly. I can fit 4 racks of full spares with a rib rack on either Einstein or Roma with room for a ABTs or a Fattie or two. Two packers is pushing it.

Pros- Low fuel usage, ability to cook from 200° to 700°+, no rust or paint issues, outside weather doesn't bother 'em (I 've cooked on them during blizzards) and they look pretty cool. Don't have to worry about dogs or kids brushing up against them causing shinged hair or burns, the outside of them don't get that hot.

More expensive than a WSM but more versatile.

Check out the pit gallery (link in sig line), there are bunches of them there.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:13 pm

What Deputy Dave said

Ceramics are versatile in that you can
Smoke at 225
Sear at 700 plus
Grill/Cook at all temps in between
Bake
Wok - (Wokkin n' Wollin 8) )
CI cooking - gumbos, stews, beans, etc.
Pizzas

Can't make ice cream on a ceramic and don't recommend deep frying - shallow fry in deep pan is okay

Just got back from Eggtoberfest. 225 Eggs were rolled out and the smokin, grillin, bakin began. Wish I had a bunch of pics but my camera threw ace deuce after the meet an greet. Did get a pic of the Eggs they were were rollin out Friday night.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:28 pm

McGuckins, the local got everything you're looking for hardware store, known for a high degree of personal service and even higher prices (compared to HD, Lowes) has a Large BGE for $695 - which I think is at least a C-note or two below list. So they might also be "on sale" in your neck of the woods. It is that time of year. You might have to make some calls as often prices aren't quoted on the web. And dicker a little, most places will knock something off just because you ask. I got a hundred off my Primo when I bought it just because I asked if the sticker price was the best they could do. Place also so hot tubs and wood-stoves. You won't find ceramics at Target or Wally World.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:32 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:You won't find ceramics at Target or Wally World.

You can find them at Sam's Club...
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:48 pm

JamesB wrote:

Really, What brand? If Primo or BGE, I can see prices falling :D You can get a Bubba at HD, but its not really a ceramic, just shaped like one.
Deputy Dave

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:07 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
JamesB wrote:

Really, What brand? If Primo or BGE, I can see prices falling :D You can get a Bubba at HD, but its not really a ceramic, just shaped like one.

BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Wow, wonder how the pricing lines up? Good news for anyone thinking about buying an egg. :D
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Any BGE's in a Sam's club is left from a mistake sale that happened at the corporate sales level. BGE posted about this, seems a corporate salesman made a deal and BGE had to honor it for X amount of BGE's. But, they said Sam's is not and would not be a sales outlet for BGE's once those were sold because of their discounting policy, but they would honor the warranty on the units. I read about this several months ago and it was posted about it on a some other forums.
If you go to Sam's web site, they don't list BGE for in-store sales or for ordering anymore.

So, they may be a really good buy if a store has some of them.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Had not heard that Jim... The Sam's Club I normally shop at still had one on the floor 2 weeks ago. I want to say the price was $599 but not totally sure. Maybe I should go back and play Let's make a Deal. :P
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:58 pm

There was a long post about it several months ago on the Brethern forum and at one time BGE had a notice about the warranty on their web site. If I remember right, you had to deal with them direct on the warranty, the regular local distributors wouldn't handle any claims on them.

James, it may be a great chance to get a really good buy if you're looking for one.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 pm

OSD wrote:James, it may be a great chance to get a really good buy if you're looking for one.

Not really looking for one, but if they still have it, I'll go throw a real low number at them just to see if they bite. Ya never know!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Looks like BGE may not be honoring the warranty on them anymore. The very first page of BGE's web site has a notice about Sam's and other internet sellers. From their website......

We have been made aware that Big Green Egg grills are being sold in some Sam’s Clubs across the country as well as on their website. Sam’s Club is not an authorized dealer of Big Green Egg products. Purchasing a Big Green Egg from any internet vendor, including Sam’s Club, violates our internet policies.

Check here for the whole notice.......

http://www.biggreenegg.com/internet.html
Jim

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”