What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grimsawyer USER_AVATAR
Grimsawyer
Pilgrim

Re: What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better?

Postby Grimsawyer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:34 pm

OK, last night I took my Traeger apart. Got the hoppe to firebox assembly pulled out(I remember putting that whole assembly in when I got it, LOL). took the hopper off of the auger/air channel to firebox. I figured it'd be straight forward on how to take it apart but the motor(maybe servo?) is attached to the end by which means I don't know. No screws/bolts that I could see. Ok, plan b... Figured I could just unscrew the metal it was attached to to take the auger out but it was welded to the rest of the assembly. How do you get it out? Do you have to take the firebox out then undo the hex head set screw to free it and pull it out the end somehow or am I just missing something? ALSO!!!! ALSO!!! I was cleaning out my firebox(kinda needed it, LOL!) and it wasn't flush to where it is mounted. Air is forced down the square tubing to the firebox and is suppose to feed the flames, instead about 1/3 of it approx. was escaping out from right over the auger hole in the firebox. Aparently the manufacture decided to cut a hole in the firebox about 1/8" lower than it should have been so the firebox couldn't sit flush. Got out my trusty Dremmell and proceded to grind away. Some paitence and a nice fit later I put my rig back together. It's now runnin with some freshly ran over pellets and goofed with my "T" settings. Just sitting down in here for a bit. Going to go see how low I can get the temp without a flameout. WHEEE!!!! Thanks Papa Tom. Fixed another flaw that I don't think I'd have seen if it weren't for your advise. Still, how did you go about getting the governor rods out of your rig(s) once you got everything stripped down?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Well I have two 075s so they don't have a rod in the auger to start with but have the same mechanism. I can pull the auger without moving the hopper. The auger motor is fastened to the bracket with screws then uncouple from the auger by removing the little allen head screw. Remove the motor then the auger. I guess it's 5 screws and nuts to remove.
Here is a picture of removal on a Lil Tex looks like just 3 bolts/screws but the hopper has to come off.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w164 ... screws.jpg" target="_blank
tarde venientibus ossa....
grimsawyer USER_AVATAR
Grimsawyer
Pilgrim

Postby Grimsawyer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 pm

definately going to break into it again tonight. I don't remember seeing those 2 bolts holding the auger to the motor. In fact that's what I was thought was welded together, not just fastened. Give me 7-8 hours and it'll be in pieces again! >=)

:EDIT:
ok, going to be a few days... Bar had $2.00 Jagermeister shots.... Nuff said.... I love you guys.....
:EDIT:
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Re: What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better

Postby JMoney7269 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I used to believe that a pit can't make you cook better till I bought my BBQ vault from Pitmaker and out of nowhere just started winning briske in big comps. I agree with texana that a traeger is a good startin point to easily make BBQ, but there are a lot better choices out there. I swear by my Pitmaker.

Get some oven stove rope and rtv it to the lid and get you a good controller. The traeger controller kind are junk. I designed and perfected this controller. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it works like a charm! It runs off PID algorithms. I charge $100+parts which usually are around $75 and your controller, snip all the wiring off it, rewire it, program it and test it in my traeger to ensure performance. Email me if your interested. I have done this mod for all of my buddies with traeger Lil tex and 075s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5giLImcz-LI&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1dBVGIFyM&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqJfVGARLM&sns=em
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:12 am

One of my pellet cookers is a trager texas offset. I had already added the digital thermostat when it was new and several years later had flame out problems, replaced the thermal probe, then learned about the t setting T stand for time, wa la no more flame outs. Papa tom is right about using quality pellets. I went through the "food tasting like it was cooked on the trash barrel" problem due to bad pellets. I was contemplating lining the cook chamber with fire brick to increase the temperature stability and add some insulation, till I bought a FEC-100 insulated smoker, that ended it all including my wallet.. they aren't cheap but produce good food. It (the fec-100) has a learning curve too, ya gotta know your cooker no matter the type..
I noticed the other day on e-bay that the pellet mechanisms are for sale, so.... that means some one wanting to build a pellet muncher could now buy the mechanism and build from a fridge, barrel or what ever their own pellet cooker...
The trager, I still have it. It works good but due to its pellet appetite doesn't get cooked on very much. If it continues to adorn my patio I will have to replace the cover though.
On the UDS big poppa smokers sells a uds kit with everything but the drill I would order one except I would have to add on the patio to make room for it :shock:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
mramsey USER_AVATAR
mramsey
Rustler

Postby mramsey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:15 am

Sell it and buy a pellet smoker made in the US, Fast Eddy PG 500. 100% US made, 400 lbs of stainless steel. This smoker will get up to well over 500 degrees for a great sear. Trager is now made in China and does not deliver as it once did when owned by Smith and Wesson and US made.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:04 am

mramsey wrote:Sell it and buy a pellet smoker made in the US, Fast Eddy PG 500. 100% US made, 400 lbs of stainless steel. This smoker will get up to well over 500 degrees for a great sear. Trager is now made in China and does not deliver as it once did when owned by Smith and Wesson and US made.

Where do you get your information? Traeger was owned by the Traeger family headed by Joe Traeger. The business is now under leadership other than the Traeger family and seems to have gone the corporate route.
I have never heard of Smith or Wesson ever having any relationship with Traeger Industries.

I own a Traeger 075 US made and a Traeger 075 of questionable heritage probably Chinese, a Pit Boss definitely born in China and a PG 500 born in Oklahoma. All work well.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Bought a Traeger a while back for the wife (really, it was fer her, she doesn't do Complicated and I just can't get satisfied with Simple), after reading Gator give a positive review. Gotta say, it does a pretty servicible job at smoking or grillin, and very simple to use. The wife will actually use it because she doesn't have to build a fire and it's not gas so it won't "blow the house up and send us to Van Alstyne".

I wouldn't use it to do competitive meats, but as a tool for the wife to simply throw in a bird and forget it for 3 hours when I'm not home it works great.

Having said all this, don't you go calling me PelletHead. I am still a rompin', stompin', bumpin' and thumpin' stickburning Cro Magnon Paleo caveman cooker. Just ask Thag.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:17 pm

BluDawg wrote:How to improve a pellet pooper: Sell it to some non suspecting rookie and go build a UDS. truly the set and forget BBQ Machine!!

+1
Roguejim
Pilgrim

Postby Roguejim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:48 am

I added a second shelf to my 075, along with buying a Savannah Stoker controller. But, the best thing I ever did with the Traeger was to roll it into my garage, and start using my Weber kettle as my smoker.
hurricanejoe
Pilgrim

Postby hurricanejoe » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:26 pm

I wonder if anyone has ever cut a hole about 1.75 - 2 inches in diameter near the bottom of the pellet box, kinda' like a bung hole in a barrel.
Then have a screw in type plug.
Whenever you wanted to change pellet flavors you'd slide a bucket beneath the opening, unscrew the plug and presto, Im thinking that with a little "juking" with a stick they'd come pouring out.

:deadhorse:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:12 pm

A shop vac is a heck of a lot quicker....having a clean shop vac might be an issue.....
MT Stringer
Pilgrim

Postby MT Stringer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Papa Tom wrote:A shop vac is a heck of a lot quicker....having a clean shop vac might be an issue.....

Yep.
Bucket Head vac at Home Depot $21.95. Easy Peasy. :D
Jointery
Pilgrim

Postby Jointery » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm

In my quest to resolve my stubborn Traeger overheat and flameout issues, I came across all this stuff. Thought I'd capture it an share before it's lost with the processed Bud Light...

(I digress a bit here...)
Smoke Daddy sells a pellet hopper assembly that comes in either a 12" or 18" auger length. The unit holds up to 35 lbs of pellets and the controller, auger, fans and pot come as a pre-assembled unit. In an existing smoker, barrel or box..., cut a small square opening and drill 4 holes and you are smoking with pellets. I think it will actually drop-in retrofit into some larger Traeger's with no modification required.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product-categ ... ssemblies/

(Now I’m getting back on topic...)
These guys also sell a Tareger upgrade plug-n-play PID digital controller, or controller, fan, auger motor and pot upgrade kit that rate very well in the web reviews. Unlike the Ortech, Traeger and Standbroil controllers, to maximize control of smoke and cook temps, their controller also adjusts the fan speed along with the auger run time Truly the cadillac of controller's and the complete controller kit is standard in the hopper assembly above.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/?s=PID+contro ... pe=product

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pelle ... grade-kit/

Ortech sells a drop-in plug-n-play controller upgrade that I installed in jr yesterday. It has a 'P' dial on the front that has 16 smoke/cook auger settings. Gets good ratings and they say that an experienced cooker can use this dial on the fly to address pellets burn variations and weather conditions etc. Update: It rocks!

https://ortechcontrols.com/

Bought it on Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Thermost ... 0340&psc=1

This is the RecTec Hotflash firepot upgrade that I installed. Heavy gauge stainless with a ceramic hot rod assembly. Fits most Traegers beyond the Jr as a simple drop-in install. My Jr required a 3/8” spacer plate that I fabricated myself but the thing works extremely well. The thick gauge pot combined with the fabricated steel spacer seem to hold the heat well. Even after opening the lid, it stabilized quickly and it really helps with smoking as well. Yesterday Jr was holding serious smoke down to 99 - 110 degrees for more than an hour and never flamed out. That's something that I have never been able to get my PTG to do, it always flamed out no matter what I tried...

https://www.rectecgrills.com/hotflash-c ... on-system/

In summary, invest in either the Smokedaddy or Ortech controller and temperature probe listed above. You will see a dramatic improvement immediately in both smoke and cook temp control. The RecTec flashpot firepot is the next best investment. The hot rod is ceramic and sits closer to the auger for a quicker start with far less pellets falling in the pot before reaching desired temps smoke or cook. FYI, the pot is the same dimension as the Traeger jr pot but the auger and hot rod sit lower in the flashpot vice traeger. Everything else is the same, even the connector...

The 3/8” spacer can be made out of 4 ea 3” w x 5” l x 3/16” thick flat steel that you can buy at a home improvement store. If you have a jr, the need is to raise the underside of the top of the new flashpot so that it sits niceley on the existing auger housing and base in the same hole pattern... I cut all of my steel with a hand held battery powered jig/Sabre/scroll saw and an aggressor metal cutting blade. Took about two hours to complete and install. This included battery charging delays....

Combine with the controller settings and sensitivity, this thing now rocks. Granted the PID kit is the Cadillac for sure but my effort was for now anyway... based on available funds blah, blah, blah...

Good luck!

P.S.
I found this tonight on pelletgrillaccessories.com and will be installing a hopper extension as well...

https://shop.pelletgrillaccessories.com ... tegoryId=8
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am

greetings and welcome to the forum.
Do post often and include pictures.
from the looks of you first post you enjoy digging through the pellet files. I have two pellet munchers, some day when they break I will have to consider what I will or wont do when it comes to getting them cooking again or simply decide to buy a new one. :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”